Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I actually get Back to education

Options
  • 24-01-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Right I'm 23 years old and I've got a level 7 undergraduate degree. I want to go on to get my post-graduate (level 8) degree but I want to claim back to education allowance (BTEA) since I can't afford fees etc on my own. I'm on a claim with my girlfriend as a dependent on it, which my cwo (community welfare officer) told me will need to be split when the time comes. First I thought you had to be 23 to get back to education and out of college for a year. When I turned 23 last July (2012), I was informed you had to be 24 or out of college 2 years. I graduated my undergraduate course in 2011 but now I hear you have to be 25 to apply for back to education. I also thought I was supposed to be getting a payment equivalent to my payment with 50 a week on top but it says something about 160 a week. My girlfriend and I are getting 400 a week for the both of us. If our claims are split and I'm supposed to be getting and extra fifty euro a week should I not then be getting 250 a week instead of the 160 that it says? This is wracking my brain a bit... I know they're supposed to make it as difficult as possible to discourage you from getting your education payed for but it's so confusing. Why doesn't the website simplify things? I've kind of lost track of my thoughts, this things confuses my brain so much. I want to be in college so I can get a good job and get off the ****ing welfare for good but the system isn't making it easy. I've tried internships but they didn't work out. You can't even appeal the btea claims decision... what the actual f*ck? Also says you can get it if you're doing a postgraduate course that leads to a H.dip I thought a higher diploma was a lesser qualification then an undergraduate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Domob6 wrote: »
    Right I'm 23 years old and I've got a level 7 undergraduate degree. I want to go on to get my post-graduate (level 8) degree but I want to claim back to education allowance (BTEA) since I can't afford fees etc on my own. I'm on a claim with my girlfriend as a dependent on it, which my cwo (community welfare officer) told me will need to be split when the time comes. First I thought you had to be 23 to get back to education and out of college for a year. When I turned 23 last July (2012), I was informed you had to be 24 or out of college 2 years. I graduated my undergraduate course in 2011 but now I hear you have to be 25 to apply for back to education. I also thought I was supposed to be getting a payment equivalent to my payment with 50 a week on top but it says something about 160 a week. My girlfriend and I are getting 400 a week for the both of us. If our claims are split and I'm supposed to be getting and extra fifty euro a week should I not then be getting 250 a week instead of the 160 that it says? This is wracking my brain a bit... I know they're supposed to make it as difficult as possible to discourage you from getting your education payed for but it's so confusing. Why doesn't the website simplify things? I've kind of lost track of my thoughts, this things confuses my brain so much. I want to be in college so I can get a good job and get off the ****ing welfare for good but the system isn't making it easy. I've tried internships but they didn't work out. You can't even appeal the btea claims decision... what the actual f*ck? Also says you can get it if you're doing a postgraduate course that leads to a H.dip I thought a higher diploma was a lesser qualification then an undergraduate.

First, there is no extra 50 a week for BTEA, it's the same rate as Jobseekers (€160 in your case because you are receiving a reduced amount due to your age). There is no extra money or any grants from this benefit, other than the fact that you can apply to the government for a fees grant if you are entitled to it. You need to be over 24 for a post-graduate course, and over 21 for other courses. You will need to confirm if your chosen course is considered post-graduate since you already have a degree (if so, you will need to wait until you are 24). You need to be claiming SW benefit for 9 months to be entitled to BTEA. The two years out of formal education that you are referring to is for people aged between 18 and 20 who have been claiming a SW payment.

So to recap, you will be receiving €160 per week (and no more) for yourself and your GF will have to take a separate claim. You are entitled to apply since you are over 21, unless the SW are considering your course as post-graduate since you already graduated (in which case you will have to wait until you are 24).

Also, a H.Dip is higher than a degree, I think you are thinking of a Higher Certificate, which is lower.
    All the information is here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html
    and very straightforward, plainly in black and white :)

I went on BTEA two years ago, been through the mill, so I know the score!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

On the National Framework of Qualifacations, a H.Dip. is a level 8, equal to an honours B.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If OP currently holds a level 7 degree then he should qualify for btea for a level 8 degree (this is still an under grad degree) as it is a progression providing he meets all other qualifying criteria .The only post grad course covered by BTEA is H.Dip for teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Is there absolutely no hope of 'regressing'? I have a Level 8 degree, and have been accepted for a Level 5. The degree is no use to me, because of the area its in and the grade- which automatically shuts me off from most masters and graduate jobs. The Level 8 was not done via BTEA or anything. Will be headed to Citizens Advice on Monday anyhow.

Is there absolutely no hope of 'regressing'? I have a Level 8 degree, and have been accepted for a Level 5. The degree is no use to me, because of the area its in and the grade- which automatically shuts me off from most masters and graduate jobs. The Level 8 was not done via BTEA or anything. Will be headed to Citizens Advice on Monday anyhow.

You will be refused BTEA because you are not progressing in education - you need to be attending educational classes that will result in a higher qualification than the one you already hold. It doesn't matter if you never claimed it before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Domob6

Right so I can get it when I'm 24 and the claims will be split then for 160 a week each for me and my girlfriend? I should still get my rent allowance and fuel allowance and all that on top of it then? Nothing for me to do until I'm 24 when I can apply? Cos I'll be 24 in July and I can apply for courses in September then? I could have sworn it said something somewhere, either on the welfare site or somewhere else, about having to be 25? Thanks for the reply by the way.

Right so I can get it when I'm 24 and the claims will be split then for 160 a week each for me and my girlfriend? I should still get my rent allowance and fuel allowance and all that on top of it then? Nothing for me to do until I'm 24 when I can apply? Cos I'll be 24 in July and I can apply for courses in September then? I could have sworn it said something somewhere, either on the welfare site or somewhere else, about having to be 25? Thanks for the reply by the way.

No, it's 24 from what I linked - 25 is the official age for a mature student now, which means by-passing CAO from what I recall. Assuming your GF gets the same claim based on age as you do, I imagine you will both get 160, and you will get to retain your fuel allowance and rent allowance at the CWO's discretion. Or at least I did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Domob6

Thanks a lot, this helped me a bunch.

Thanks a lot, this helped me a bunch.

I should point out that during the Summer you will need to go back on JA, so you might need to go back to claiming for your GF at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Are you absolutely certain ShaShaBear that they won't be able to get any assistance for a Level 5 when it's in a different line-of-work non-related to the qualification they already hold?

O.P. I wouldn't just go and do the other option simply just because you've been told by one person that ya can't get assistance for what you actually do want to do. I would delve a bit deeper, go to the offices and ask more questions. Don't rule it out just yet.

• Advertisement

Are you absolutely certain ShaShaBear that they won't be able to get any assistance for a Level 5 when it's in a different line-of-work non-related to the qualification they already hold?

O.P. I wouldn't just go and do the other option simply just because you've been told by one person that ya can't get assistance for what you actually do want to do. I would delve a bit deeper, go to the offices and ask more questions. Don't rule it out just yet.

I dont know if you can get assistance, but I do know you cannot get BTEA unless your qualification is a progression on the one you already hold. It does not need to be related, you can do a level 5 in Animal Care and then claim BTEA for a level 8 in computers and gaming technology - but it does have to be a progression.

If the course is part-time, one can apply to go onto the part-time education scheme, which is basically being approved to retain your benefit with SW while you do the course, under the assumption that you are still looking for work and putting work offers above attendance to the course.

As I said, OP should be entitled to it, as a level 8 is not really a post-graduate course - it's a level 8. BTEA post-graduate courses are from H.Dip up, so he would need to clarify this with his local SW office before going any further. If it is not considered post-grad, he can apply and is entitled. If it is considered post-grad (which it really should not) then he is not entitled until he is of age (24), and they're quite (very) strict on that.

OP, Why not make an appointment at your local Labour Exchange. They all have a Back to Education person who will advise you. You have to have been unemployed and getting a payment for a year. There is no extra weekly payment, but a once off payment of €300. If you are applying for a SUSI grant to pay the fees, you have to go a level higher than the last one completed. Now is the time to be getting it sorted, as it'll take time to get all the paperwork sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Maryanne84 wrote: »
    OP, Why not make an appointment at your local Labour Exchange. They all have a Back to Education person who will advise you. You have to have been unemployed and getting a payment for a year. There is no extra weekly payment, but a once off payment of €300. If you are applying for a SUSI grant to pay the fees, you have to go a level higher than the last one completed. Now is the time to be getting it sorted, as it'll take time to get all the paperwork sorted!

As far as I'm aware the 300 once off payment is no longer given

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

The €300 is not going to be paid from next year on, to new or current people on BTEA

The €300 is not going to be paid from next year on, to new or current people on BTEA

Thanks, guys. I wasn't aware of this, but am not surprised! If someone lives miles away from the college, how the hell are they to pay for travel costs? :mad:

Thanks, guys. I wasn't aware of this, but am not surprised! If someone lives miles away from the college, how the hell are they to pay for travel costs? :mad:

Well it would really depend on what you're getting on the dole, but I get 188 a week, and the grant (full, with top-up and for the non adjacent rate) doesn't even come close to that. Besides, you're usually waiting on the book grant till November or even December so if you relied on it for travel, you'd be in some spot of bother at that stage :p

Think the trick is either use the weekly money to live closer to your college, or for transport, you really shouldn't be doing both :confused:

Advertisement