Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakdown on figures of soldiers killed in friendly fire ?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 3:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I have tried in google to find a breakdown on figures of soldiers killed in friendly fire in Iraq wars 1 & 2 but came up with nothing. What I want to know is, what numbers/percentages died due to friendly fire did the individual forces suffer from America, Canada, UK etc ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I have tried in google to find a breakdown on figures of soldiers killed in friendly fire in Iraq wars 1 & 2 but came up with nothing. What I want to know is, what numbers/percentages died due to friendly fire did the individual forces suffer from America, Canada, UK etc ?

Gulf war 1(wiki but ref)
    United States 35
    United Kingdom 9
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War#Casualties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Gulf war 1(wiki but ref)
    United States 35
    United Kingdom 9
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War#Casualties[/QUOTE]
    " The DoD reports that U.S. forces suffered 148 battle-related deaths 35 to friendly fire " I'd imagine most of those were down to pilot error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

From ICasualties.org
    OIF:
    UK:
    2: Hostile - Jet downed by Patriot.
    4: Hostile - Friendly Fire; (3 incidents)
    1: Non Hostile - Manslaughter, death by pointing weapon of unknown state at mate and squeezing trigger
    2: Non Hostile - Weapon discharge, accidental
    1: Non Hostile - Weapon discharge

AUS:
    1: Non Hostile - Weapon discharge, accidental

US:
    11:Hostile - Friendly Fire, (8 Incidents)
    1: Hostile - Friendly Fire - Cluster bomb
    1: Hostile - Jet downed by Patriot
    1: Hostile - Friendly Fire - Small Arms
    6: Non-Hostile - GSW
    4: Non Hostile - Manslaughter
    39: Non Hostile -Weapon Discharge
    15: Non Hostile -Weapon Discharge, Accidental.

Blue-on-Blue in the traditional meaning you would be looking at 6 UK and 14 US.
    In addition there is also 1 Bulgarian, 1 Denmark and 1 Italian MilInt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

From ICasualties.org
    OIF:
    UK:
    2: Hostile - Jet downed by Patriot.
    4: Hostile - Friendly Fire; (3 incidents)
    1: Non Hostile - Manslaughter, death by pointing weapon of unknown state at mate and squeezing trigger
    2: Non Hostile - Weapon discharge, accidental
    1: Non Hostile - Weapon discharge

AUS:
    1: Non Hostile - Weapon discharge, accidental

US:
    11:Hostile - Friendly Fire, (8 Incidents)
    1: Hostile - Friendly Fire - Cluster bomb
    1: Hostile - Jet downed by Patriot
    1: Hostile - Friendly Fire - Small Arms
    6: Non-Hostile - GSW
    4: Non Hostile - Manslaughter
    39: Non Hostile -Weapon Discharge
    15: Non Hostile -Weapon Discharge, Accidental.

Blue-on-Blue in the traditional meaning you would be looking at 6 UK and 14 US.
    In addition there is also 1 Bulgarian, 1 Denmark and 1 Italian MilInt
    Wow :eek:, some serious stuff there, ok accidents happen but some of it seems to be down to basic stupidity. I think there was an incident of a soldier who had played professional American football and had patriotically signed up, shot dead by his own side despite him and others waving their rifles, helmets, shouting etc for several minutes that they were US soldiers ? Also wasn't the UK guy shot dead in the RIR by " Manslaughter, death by pointing weapon of unknown state at mate and squeezing trigger " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Wow :eek:, some serious stuff there, ok accidents happen but some of it seems to be down to basic stupidity. I think there was an incident of a soldier who had played professional American football and had patriotically signed up, shot dead by his own side despite him and others waving their rifles, helmets, shouting etc for several minutes that they were US soldiers ?

Pat Tillman, played for the Arizona Cardinals. Turned down a 3.x million contract over 3 years to join up after Sept 11. Huge cover-up though.
    Also wasn't the UK guy shot dead in the RIR by " Manslaughter, death by pointing weapon of unknown state at mate and squeezing trigger " ?

Fatality here was a soldier in The Rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭delta-boy

Wow :eek:, some serious stuff there, ok accidents happen but some of it seems to be down to basic stupidity. I think there was an incident of a soldier who had played professional American football and had patriotically signed up, shot dead by his own side despite him and others waving their rifles, helmets, shouting etc for several minutes that they were US soldiers ? Also wasn't the UK guy shot dead in the RIR by " Manslaughter, death by pointing weapon of unknown state at mate and squeezing trigger " ?

Yeah that was a sad case ): RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Wow :eek:, some serious stuff there, ok accidents happen but some of it seems to be down to basic stupidity.QUOTE]It's part of war, always been part of war. In the past it would barely registered as an issue unless it caused a lot of casualties. As when the Eight Air Force bombed their own troops in Normandy or when the Naval forces shot down many paratrooper aircraft during the invasion of Sicily.

One soldier was quoted as saying he was bombed by every airforce except the Soviets. But I'm sure they would have jumped at the opportunity too given the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

In WW 2, the Royal Navy was renowned for shooting at any aircraft, including friendly ones, that came within range. It was often remarked upon in memoirs that it took frequent flashing of recognition lights or firing of Very lights to convince the gunners to hold their fire. Friendly fire has been with us since the start of modern warfare and isn't going away any time soon.

regards
    Stovepipe

Advertisement