Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Room Thermostat Help

Options
  • 24-01-2013 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a thermostat in my living room but I dont think it works as the little green light on it never comes on. I have a gas feroli boiler in the kitchen.

ive got no idea how this thermostat is able to control the gas boiler if that is indeed what it is meant to do.

If anyone can tell me what is the purpose of this thermostat is and how its meant to work and how I can check to see if its working, I would really appreciate it.

Regards
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a thermostat in my living room but I dont think it works as the little green light on it never comes on. I have a gas feroli boiler in the kitchen.

ive got no idea how this thermostat is able to control the gas boiler if that is indeed what it is meant to do.

If anyone can tell me what is the purpose of this thermostat is and how its meant to work and how I can check to see if its working, I would really appreciate it.

Regards
    The light will only come on if it has a neutral, but should work fine without

It should click although I've came across a few that click yet still don't work

If your handy enough, remove the cover, join the live and switch live, whilst the spur is of or fuse is out

If it still doesn't work it's the actuator on you motorised valve needs replacing

If your not confident/ competent enough to do this consult a professional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

cikearney wrote: »
    The light will only come on if it has a neutral, but should work fine without

It should click although I've came across a few that click yet still don't work

If your handy enough, remove the cover, join the live and switch live, whilst the spur is of or fuse is out

If it still doesn't work it's the actuator on you motorised valve needs replacing

If your not confident/ competent enough to do this consult a professional

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

No I dont think I would be confident enough to do this myself, I dont know which ones are 'the live' and 'switch live' nor where the actuator on the mororised valve even is :)

Also which fuse would it be, would it be the ones for the downstairs lights?

How does this thermostat even work? Is it when the room reaches a certain temperature, the thermostat is able to automatically turn off the Ferorli Gas Boiler in the Kitchen?

Any idea how much it would cost to have someone have a look at it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Depends on where your based but it should be in the region of €50-80

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Depends on where your based but it should be in the region of €50-80

Thanks for that and Im in Dublin.

I would appreciate it if you could tell mw, if you know, how does this thermostat even work? Is it when the room reaches a certain temperature, the thermostat is able to automatically turn off the Ferorli Gas Boiler in the Kitchen?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The thermostat either turns off the boiler or a motorised valve when the room reaches the preset temperature.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that and Im in Dublin.

I would appreciate it if you could tell mw, if you know, how does this thermostat even work? Is it when the room reaches a certain temperature, the thermostat is able to automatically turn off the Ferorli Gas Boiler in the Kitchen?

Regards
    A stat is basically a switch which reacts will the temperature in the area it is positioned.

When you turn your heating on it sends power to the stat which decide whether or not you need heat in that area and if it does it sends power to the actuator, corresponding to the area/ zone, and once open sends power to the boiler to fire, providing it is wired this way.

Nowadays I don't think anyone would charge you to look given that they are going to fix it, could cost between €50 and max €220 depending on parts required and time

A stat is basically a switch which reacts will the temperature in the area it is positioned.

When you turn your heating on it sends power to the stat which decide whether or not you need heat in that area and if it does it sends power to the actuator, corresponding to the area/ zone, and once open sends power to the boiler to fire, providing it is wired this way.

Nowadays I don't think anyone would charge you to look given that they are going to fix it, could cost between €50 and max €220 depending on parts required and time
    And obviously once zone has reached temp everything should turn off again

And obviously once zone has reached temp everything should turn off again

Thanks for your input.

So is the thermostat connected to the fusebox and then also connected to the actuator which I guess is located in the hot press somewhere?

If u there is a pic o hwat I should look 4 in the hot press, that would be appreciated

Regards

Thanks for your input.

So is the thermostat connected to the fusebox and then also connected to the actuator which I guess is located in the hot press somewhere?

If u there is a pic o hwat I should look 4 in the hot press, that would be appreciated

Regards
    May not be in the hot press, most likely besid or very close to you timclock

It will be the same size as a switch/ socket, it may of may not have a switch on it, and may or may not have a light on it

But it will have a rectangular shaped indentation in it that may or may not say "fuse" on it, this will also have a notch taken out of the indentation which will accommodate a phase tester/ terminal driver to fit in and pull the slot out to remove the fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭KM88

Regards
    Jeez, don't rely on anything you heard in this thread so far.
    I hate the way people who don't know the answer try to answer your question anyway.

I'll try to answer the question about how you can check if the stat is working first. If I was in Dublin I'd come round and have a look myself but as I'm not, the best I can do is this:

(Assuming the rad in that room does get warm and the boiler is on)

Turn the stat to minimum, wait half an hour.
    Now check if the rad in that room is cold.
    If not, the stat is faulty.

If the rad is cold, turn the stat to max and wait 10 mins. If the rad is now warmer, the stat is working.

After that, you just need to play with the dial on the stat until you get the room at the temperature you want.

If that much works, let me know and i'll do my best to answer.
    Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

KM88 wrote: »
    Jeez, don't rely on anything you heard in this thread so far.
    I hate the way people who don't know the answer try to answer your question anyway.

I'll try to answer the question about how you can check if the stat is working first. If I was in Dublin I'd come round and have a look myself but as I'm not, the best I can do is this:

Turn the stat to minimum, wait half an hour.
    Now check if rad in that room is cold.
    If not, the stat does nothing.

If the rad is cold, turn the stat to max and wait 10 mins. If the rad is now warmer, the stat is working.

After that, you just need to play with the dial on the stat until you get the room at the temperature you want.

If that much works, let me know and i'll do my best to answer.
    Hope that helps
    Nice attack, but the only 100% way to test a room stat is via continuity test with a multi-meter. If the stat only has a live in & a live out & no neutral then the stat has not got an anticipator or it is not wired. This will then have an inaccuracy of circa 6c.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Nice attack, but the only 100% way to test a room stat is via continuity test with a multi-meter. If the stat only has a live in & a live out & no neutral then the stat has not got an anticipator or it is not wired. This will then have an inaccuracy of circa 6c.

:) Funny but hardly helpful to the OP:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

KM88 wrote: »

:) Funny but hardly helpful to the OP:)
    Yes it's hilarious but true & should be the correct & most useful answer to the OP.
    The clue is the light that never comes on, so no neutral. The stat probably has an anticipator so no neutral, no anticipator.

PM if you prefer IBA - too many trolls here

Advertisement