Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back to work

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Ive to meet the social welfare in a few weeks . Im an out of work tradesman .
    They want me to go self employed . They are offering me my dole for a year while I get started and I believe they hook you up with a few quid to get your insurance and van or whatever . (Im not 100 percent on how much or if thats whats on offer .)

I play bass and guitar to a fairly average level but I need a decent guitar and amp to join a gigging band .

If I asked them for say a thousand quid to sort that and got the dole for a year . What are the odds of me making a living in a years time when dole is cut . Say for example I got a bass and a good amp and tried to find a gigging covers band.
    Say 400 euro on a bad week Id be happy.
    Trades are bad news at the moment and I never liked getting up early in the morning .

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The pubs are quiet, so gigs are scarce. €400 per week roughly equals 4 pub gigs per week (if you're lucky). That'll be hard to find.

To be honest, you'd want marketing money from the social welfare office as well as equipment money. Between business cards, demo CDs, website, maybe an agent, petrol, van for gear, rehearsals if you put a band together, etc. the costs don't be long adding up.

I'm surprised though they'll sub you money for stuff like that.

Great idea though if you can get it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ger09

You should get a grant off the back to employment scheme in your area but its gonna take a lot of planning to get these guys onboard in the first place.You will need a business plan that will impress them and then consider what Siamsa Sessions has said.Your gear for gigging will cost a bit but in the end its worth splashing out on good reliable gear that you know wont let you down at any gig,back up bass and amp would be ideal to have to just in case.If you can get into a busy working band then I cant see any reason for you not to make a living off it but it will be tough going.Also the cash for gigs these days isn't what its made out to be with a lot of lads doing gigs for feic all its tough keep decent paid gigs coming in but give it a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

yaargh8 wrote: »
    Ive to meet the social welfare in a few weeks . Im an out of work tradesman .
    They want me to go self employed . They are offering me my dole for a year while I get started and I believe they hook you up with a few quid to get your insurance and van or whatever . (Im not 100 percent on how much or if thats whats on offer .)

In all honesty, I think they mean for you to go self-employed in your trade.

I'm pretty sure they won't pay for your music gear as part of some "back to work" initiative for aspiring cover musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Hi, I work as an accountant and often help prepare business plans and applications for clients hoping to get on the back to work scheme. I'm afraid that unless your jobs facilitator is VERY sympathetic you do not have a hope of gaining funding for a potential career in music.

That's the bottom line I'm afraid. The government have cut funding left right and centre for the arts and have very much shown their cards on that front. Do not expect them to give you money to purchase and amp and to fund an unestablished career in an industry that is fraught at the best of times let alone in the middle of this recession!!!

If you do want to proceed with your application though, you will have the best chance if you have a proven track record in the area. If you were my client I would advise you to hire the equipment you need and get things up and running yourself. As a previous post said - you will need 4 gigs per week to make €400 (don't forget that this money is subject to tax and will need to be treated accordingly). Basically, see if you can proceed on this basis and make a living for 3 - 6 months. If you manage it (REMEMBER TO KEEP EXCELLENT RECORDS OF ALL INCOME/EXPENDITURE) you might then have some sort of hope with gettingsome funding - although it will still be a long shot!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

auti wrote: »
    Hi, I work as an accountant and often help prepare business plans and applications for clients hoping to get on the back to work scheme. I'm afraid that unless your jobs facilitator is VERY sympathetic you do not have a hope of gaining funding for a potential career in music.

That's the bottom line I'm afraid. The government have cut funding left right and centre for the arts and have very much shown their cards on that front. Do not expect them to give you money to purchase and amp and to fund an unestablished career in an industry that is fraught at the best of times let alone in the middle of this recession!!!

If you do want to proceed with your application though, you will have the best chance if you have a proven track record in the area. If you were my client I would advise you to hire the equipment you need and get things up and running yourself. As a previous post said - you will need 4 gigs per week to make €400 (don't forget that this money is subject to tax and will need to be treated accordingly). Basically, see if you can proceed on this basis and make a living for 3 - 6 months. If you manage it (REMEMBER TO KEEP EXCELLENT RECORDS OF ALL INCOME/EXPENDITURE) you might then have some sort of hope with gettingsome funding - although it will still be a long shot!!!

From your experience, once you are awarded "back to self employed" status are you left alone or do they seek regular updates and information.

For example, on the "back to work" that people were availing of a few years ago, once you were accepted they just paid your money in weekly to allow you to work uninterrupted.

• Advertisement

Yes, once you are in receipt of BTWEA you will be left pretty much to your own devices. Remember that payment under the scheme lasts for only two years (although I have seen extensions of this to three years in exceptional circumstances). When your welfare payments end you will no longer be entitled to state benefit for a duration of five years and only then if you meet certain criteria.

See here for details.

I would advise that you spend these two years very wisely. Do every course you possibly can and build up your CV. If by the end of the two years your business has failed you will have a bunch of qualifications to fall back on. I have seen time and time again people who really mess up and do nothing with BTWEA and at the end of the two years they end up at sea with no state support and no career advancement made.

Thankfully the majority are successful and they end up with either a nice profitable business for themselves or in full time employment. The most successful without exception are the ones who do course after course.

I hope this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

auti wrote: »
    Yes, once you are in receipt of BTWEA you will be left pretty much to your own devices. Remember that payment under the scheme lasts for only two years (although I have seen extensions of this to three years in exceptional circumstances). When your welfare payments end you will no longer be entitled to state benefit for a duration of five years and only then if you meet certain criteria.

See here for details.

I would advise that you spend these two years very wisely. Do every course you possibly can and build up your CV. If by the end of the two years your business has failed you will have a bunch of qualifications to fall back on. I have seen time and time again people who really mess up and do nothing with BTWEA and at the end of the two years they end up at sea with no state support and no career advancement made.

Thankfully the majority are successful and they end up with either a nice profitable business for themselves or in full time employment. The most successful without exception are the ones who do course after course.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Auti,

Not sure how I could do course after course if I'm trying to get a business up and running. I'm thinking of doing removals. I see there seems to be quite a bit of work Nationally so I may investigate it further.

There stipulations (not allowing you to re-sign) means some people won't take the chance. I don't know why they choose this model. It may actually put me off too.

Removals? Oh, this thread has taken quite a turn!! Moving pianos maybe? :-)

The best thing to do is speak to your jobs facilitator and try to work something out. You might have concerns but there will be help available to do some market research and once completed correctly you will have a clearer picture as to what direction you should take.

In terms of taking courses - it's just a matter of time management and self motivation. Being self employed means you can create your own schedule, you should not be thinking 9 - 5.

In fairness, the BTWEA is a superb scheme and has worked wonders for a lot of people. As with just about everything, music of course being no exception, you get back what you put in but it is hard work. Be determined, put the social life on hold, make a plan, do the work, do the courses, take the opportunities available to you and you will reap the rewards.

Nothing quite like the threat of destitution to focus the mind!!!

Advertisement