Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reaktor standalone

Options
  • 24-01-2013 4:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used Reaktor as a standalone composition tool? I've always used it in vst mode through cubase or samplitude but I'd like to try and use it on it's own.
    I like the idea of reaktor as a live tool as well. The problem is I have no idea where to start when it comes to composing complete tracks and would appreciate suggestions or hearing from your experiences in doing this.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Hmm. If you were to use in standalone mode would you not need to build a sequencer in Reaktor to build the tracks.

Could be as complex as how far you want to take that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah I was thinking I needed to build a sequencer to do it. Another approach would be to have my instruments running through step sequencers and quickly switching between patches and recording it live. I guess for automation I'd have to build LFO's and envelopes etc to cover that side of things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Reaktor has built-in sequencers and event generators - it can run on its own. You can hack the presets from the libraries or build your own step sequencers form the ground up. You can write audio out of Reaktor to a file as well. It's all inside - kind of like Max MSP or Pure Data

I wasn't aware of event genrators so I guess I should dig through the user manual! Like I said I've only used it through a host to ccreate synths.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Reaktor is a bear. It's massive and highly complex once you get under the hood. I've not used it in a while - i bounce around machines a lot, so i settled on Pure Data as my axe of choice for connect-the-box synths. There are some things i would still use Reaktor for- the Phase Vocoder is awesome in Reaktor, and the GUIs are very nice too. If you don't know it that well, then start the manual and go through it thoroughly and methodically. Then look for some patches that you like (presets or online) and take them apart to see how it's done. There is a large (and very helpful) online user community - they'll sort your issues out quickly. Get on the Reaktor mailing list - you can then learn by osmosis as you'll be getting Reaktor posts in your inbox every day, and you'll find yourself remembering nuggets of info. that come in handy down the line.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice I'll get on the mailing list. I've used PD to make sound effects its a great tool, especially considering it's free.
    I haven't touched reaktor since about 2007 at uni. I'm currently abroad for the next few months so a few read throughs of the manual beside the pool or wherever will do me good for my return. Always found max frustrating for some reason and had a wee spin on it recently with it's new fangled interface and wasn't keen on it.
    Reaktor always made great bass synths and pads for me. The noise generators are great craic too. Can't wait to see what I can get up to using it standalone.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement