Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookiecutter shark takes bite out of great white

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The irony is delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I was watching the Giant Squid video the other day, and there was footage of the injuries attributed to the Giant Squid on a Sperm Whale's head.

Now, some of the scarring was obviously circular from the Squid's toothed suckers, and some was long scratches, that I assume was caused by the suckers being dragged along the skin as the whale tried to get away, but there was also one very clear wound that I reckon was caused by a Cookiecutter.

The squid sucker wounds were circles, like an O, with unwounded skin in the middle. The other wound was circular in shape, but had no middle. It looked like the flesh had been scooped out.

I'll have another look at the video and see if I can post it here.

Found it: 2mins 42-45 sec on the video on this page: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3912930/giant-squid-bait-patience-lots-cash-catch-a-monster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I was watching the Giant Squid video the other day, and there was footage of the injuries attributed to the Giant Squid on a Sperm Whale's head.

Now, some of the scarring was obviously circular from the Squid's toothed suckers, and some was long scratches, that I assume was caused by the suckers being dragged along the skin as the whale tried to get away, but there was also one very clear wound that I reckon was caused by a Cookiecutter.

The squid sucker wounds were circles, like an O, with unwounded skin in the middle. The other wound was circular in shape, but had no middle. It looked like the flesh had been scooped out.

I'll have another look at the video and see if I can post it here.

Found it: 2mins 42-45 sec on the video on this page: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3912930/giant-squid-bait-patience-lots-cash-catch-a-monster

Wouldn´t surprise me at all. Some whales are literally covered on cookiecutter bite scars:
    278px-Scars_from_cookie-cutter_shark_bites_on_Gray%27s_beaked_whale.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 apologyst

Well spotted locum- thats def a cookiecutter bite/scoop taken out of that poor whales head among all the squid scars. ps adam those are squid marks in your pic not cookiecutter bites

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

apologyst wrote: »
    Well spotted locum- thats def a cookiecutter bite/scoop taken out of that poor whales head among all the squid scars. ps adam those are squid marks in your pic not cookiecutter bites

Is that so? Well, guess whoever uploaded it to Wikipedia saying those were cookicutter bites is to be blamed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Here's a still from that video showing the possible Cookiecutter bites.

239627.jpg

Advertisement