Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh reinstall of win 7 64 bit

Options
  • 23-01-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Doing my first reinstall on my machine. I've a basic knowledge of what needs to be done.

I've all my important stuff backed up.

What I would like to know is where do I go in order to reinstall all my drivers once I've it completed?

I can't remember what there a one stop shop for everything or do I have to manually go and get each one. How do I find out what drivers I'll actually need as I can't remember that either.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you format the drive you will need to goto device manager and check what devices are not working.If you dont format the drive you will find a folder called windows.old on you c drive when you are done,all the drivers you need would be in ,windows.old-windows-system32.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

mp22 wrote: »
    If you format the drive you will need to goto device manager and check what devices are not working.If you dont format the drive you will find a folder called windows.old on you c drive when you are done,all the drivers you need would be in ,windows.old-windows-system32.

Yes I'm formatting the drive completely. Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do you have physical media to had

also check if there is a restore image on the machine already

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A sneaky short cut is to copy the winsys32 folder to a usb drive.if you cant find the driver you need there will be one on the usb drive.

do you have physical media to had

also check if there is a restore image on the machine already

Newbie here so could you point me in the right direction on how to check this out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Newbie here so could you point me in the right direction on how to check this out?

You may have one or more of the following:
    1. Pressed restore discs that were provided with the laptop.
    2. Self-burned restore discs - many computers now come without the first option and prompt you to burn a set of restore discs on first boot-up.
    3. A recovery partition on the HDD - you may get an option to restore on boot-up, or you may be able to start the process from Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Post Windows 7 install there might be one or two drivers that haven't been installed (driver not available on the installation disc).

Usually I just get the network adapter driver and the rest are downloaded automatically - you may need a second computer to download it.

Basically in devices manager look for devices with an exclamation mark, these are the devices that windows was unable to find drivers for.

To find them manually right-click the device and go to properties, and find driver details click on hardware ids and you'll notice a string like ven_xxxx dev_xxxx.

On the second computer head on over to pcidatabase.com and search for the vendor number (ven) this will tell you the manufacturer, and then search device id (dev). If your device is found there will be a link to the driver, just copy this to USB stick and install on the target computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A sneaky short cut is to copy the winsys32 folder to a usb drive.if you cant find the driver you need there will be one on the usb drive.
    Im kissing you in cyberspace. I don't care how wrong it is. Good tip!

Overheal wrote: »
    Im kissing you in cyberspace. I don't care how wrong it is. Good tip!

:o:o:o:eek:

I'm going to go ahead and get a new HDD, as I think its on the brink of failure.

Can ye recommend a specific make of hdd to look at? It's my first time to go down this route so any help would be great.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Ok, so I get a new hdd.

I take out old one, put in the new one and reinstall wins from dvd? Is that the order? Or do I format the hdd in disk manager before I install windows?

Sorry for the rock bottom questions lads. I've never done a reinstall before so I'd just like to get the right steps.

I'm getting a new hdd tomorrow.

Could I hook it up the new one beside the old one and format it in disk management and then take out the old Hdd, and reinstall win 7 from dvd onto new hdd?

In with new hd boot from windows dvd,if you want partitions wait till you have windows installed and then use the disk manager to set them up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

In with new hd boot from windows dvd,if you want partitions wait till you have windows installed and then use the disk manager to set them up.

Thanks.

I don't want partitions so ill just put new hdd in with old one and boot from dvd. I can then take out old hdd or I do that at the very start? I'll all my stuff backed up from it.

Just have the new hd in, then when windows is installed connect up the old one.If they are both in windows will boot from the old drive all the time.

One last question - I can't seem to locate this folder on my machine?

I would think this would be very handy to locate my drivers, rather than having to manually to looking for individual ones.

Just can't seem to find it on my pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

One last question - I can't seem to locate this folder on my machine?

I would think this would be very handy to locate my drivers, rather than having to manually to looking for individual ones.

Just can't seem to find it on my pc.

Assuming Windows is installed to the C drive, the path would be "C:\Windows\System32"

Advertisement