Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax relief for tenants

Options
  • 23-01-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I was wondering about the rent relief where basically you claim back 20% of your rent on your private rented accommodation up to a maximum of €1,000 in the current tax year (€1,200 in 2012).

Assume an employee made €9,500 total in a year so they would't have actually paid any income tax.

They rent a room in a shared house for €260 per month.

Can they get 20% of the rent back or is this simply treated as a tax credit which would not affect the person in this example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

I thought this tax rebate expired 4 years ago unless you rented accommodation before the expiry date and you are in the same accommodation today.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

power101 wrote: »
    I thought this tax rebate expired 4 years ago unless you rented accommodation before the expiry date and you are in the same accommodation today.

You know what thought did...! :pac:
    Thought it was a fart but he **** himself

OP, to qualify for the Rent Tax Credit you had to be renting on 7th December 2010. If you were then you continue to be entitled to the credit, it doesn't matter if you move, the credit moves with you.

If you weren't renting on the 7th December 2010 then you aren't entitled to the tax credit.

Advertisement