Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Social Charge

Options
  • 23-01-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

In regard to 2012 this was the rates of USC as I understand them.

2% up to €10,036
    4% between €10,036 and €16,016
    7% above €16,016

If an employee earned under €10,036 they don't pay any USC, correct?

An employee earned €9,500 and yet has been charged 2% USC. How do they go about claiming back the USC payments?

I will be going in to the local tax office to clarify this but have have been given wrong information from the front line staff previously so would like a second opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Read your own post. Its 2% up to 10,036.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

arbitrage wrote: »
    In regard to 2012 this was the rates of USC as I understand them.

2% up to €10,036
    4% between €10,036 and €16,016
    7% above €16,016

If an employee earned under €10,036 they don't pay any USC, correct?

An employee earned €9,500 and yet has been charged 2% USC. How do they go about claiming back the USC payments?

I will be going in to the local tax office to clarify this but have have been given wrong information from the front line staff previously so would like a second opinion.

You will need to complete a form P50 and submit to your local tax office along with your p60 for 2012 showing gross income under 10,036.

They will deal with your refund and will be directly refunded through revenue or through your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

You will need to complete a form P50 and submit to your local tax office along with your p60 for 2012 showing gross income under 10,036.

They will deal with your refund and will be directly refunded through revenue or through your employer.

Appreciated. Just got the form from the tax office.

I'm asking on behalf of someone else who was told in the same tax office that they had to pay 2% even though their total income was under 10,036 so I had to double check that.

If they changed employers its a P50 and if they are with the same employer currently it the form "Request for p21 balancing statement".

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Read your own post. Its 2% up to 10,036.

Hasty!

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/usc/index.html

"The Exempt categories for Universal Social Charge are:
    2012/2013:
    Where an individual's total income for a year does not exceed €10,036
    All Dept of Social Protection payments
    Income already subjected to DIRT"

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

arbitrage wrote: »
    Appreciated. Just got the form from the tax office.

I'm asking on behalf of someone else who was told in the same tax office that they had to pay 2% even though their total income was under 10,036 so I had to double check that.

If they changed employers its a P50 and if they are with the same employer currently it the form "Request for p21 balancing statement".

Well as your aware that is not true, well in 2012 at least. Rules have changed in 2013.

You are also correct in your assessment of P50 v P21.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement