Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple products purchase

Options
  • 23-01-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

As a prospective first time Apple user, Does anyone know the best place to buy Apple products from? I'm looking at an Apple MacBook Pro & iphone 5. Would there be a discount for buying both together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

The only place you can buy both at once is either on the Apple.ie store and now there would be no discounts.

If you want to save money the best place to purchase both is Amazon.co.uk. I bought a MacBook pro last week on Amazon and saved about €400.00.

In terms of actually buying the product here in Ireland you can buy every Apple product except iPhones in Compub and Currys. iPhones are sold by Meteor, O2 etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I think you may have missed out with PC World/Curry's. I bought a Macbook Pro last week availing of their 750gb for the same price as the 500gb (and €150 cheaper than on the Apple website). I can't find that spec laptop on their site now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks for the replies

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

PCros wrote: »
    The only place you can buy both at once is either on the Apple.ie store and now there would be no discounts.

If you want to save money the best place to purchase both is Amazon.co.uk. I bought a MacBook pro last week on Amazon and saved about €400.00.

In terms of actually buying the product here in Ireland you can buy every Apple product except iPhones in Compub and Currys. iPhones are sold by Meteor, O2 etc.

Best of luck.

How did you save €400 on a MBP via Amazon? Are you sure its the latest model?

Hi,

Yep latest model - trust me when I got it I thoroughly checked everything.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008BEYOGI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Hi,

Yep latest model - trust me when I got it I thoroughly checked everything.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B008BEYOGI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks

What does this mean?
    Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

draffodx wrote: »

What does this mean?

Not sure, where is that from?

Hi,

The best way to get bang for your buck is to
    A. Buy the Laptop next time you're in America
    B. Buy the Iphone on a contract

You'll save yourself about 500euro on the price of a macbook pro by buying it while abroad... You should however pay tax on it......

If you have no plans to visit the states anytime soon then the other options you have is if you're a student there are usually deals right before the beginning of a college year (Sept) which would get you a free ipod or around 10% off.

Final option is buying from the refurb section
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Look at is as an investment for 4+ years. I've had mine for over 4 years now and still faster than most laptops being sold today, going to be another 2 before I consider upgrading. :pac:

Hi,

The best way to get bang for your buck is to
    A. Buy the Laptop next time you're in America
    B. Buy the Iphone on a contract

I can't see how that's the case as a contract over say two years would work out more expensive than paying €680 for an unlocked iphone and €20/month with the mobile provider '48'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not sure, where is that from?

The link above, any order fulfilled by Amazon has it on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My suspicion on this is that the seller on Amazon may be selling imported machines and the keyboard layout is different...

tallpaul wrote: »
    My suspicion on this is that the seller on Amazon may be selling imported machines and the keyboard layout is different...

The thing is its actually Amazon themselves and sellers that are fulfilled by Amazon (stock from Amazon warehouse).

All the private sellers are ok according to the notice, so not sure what Amazon are after doing wrong.

I purchased mine from a private seller.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

According to one complaint they got a US Keyboard, not a UK one. Apple won't be best pleased at that.

Yorky wrote: »
    I can't see how that's the case as a contract over say two years would work out more expensive than paying €680 for an unlocked iphone and €20/month with the mobile provider '48'

Don't know much about 48 nor do I know anybody using them so I can't say anything about their service.
    However you only get 3Gb of data.

For 35 euro you can get unlimited everything with a capped data (15gb) at €35 a month on a 15 month contract.

€35 x 15 months = €525 + the phone cost of €100 (iphone 4) at the time I bought. Thats a total of €625.

€20 x 15 months = 300 + upfront cost of phone at 680 is a total of €980.

Saving of €355 + an extra 12gb a month of data.

It all depends on what you use your phone for. I use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop when not near WiFi so that 15gb gets used every month. If however you only use your phone for data you probably won't use more than 3gb. The other downside is you're in a contract but I've never had an issue with it and this is my second 15 month contact which is ending in 2 months. The phone is then unlocked to you and open to any network.... or just jailbreak it.

Don't know much about 48 nor do I know anybody using them so I can't say anything about their service.
    However you only get 3Gb of data.

For 35 euro you can get unlimited everything with a capped data (15gb) at €35 a month on a 15 month contract.

€35 x 15 months = €525 + the phone cost of €100 (iphone 4) at the time I bought. Thats a total of €625.

€20 x 15 months = 300 + upfront cost of phone at 680 is a total of €980.

Saving of €355 + an extra 12gb a month of data.

It all depends on what you use your phone for. I use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop when not near WiFi so that 15gb gets used every month. If however you only use your phone for data you probably won't use more than 3gb. The other downside is you're in a contract but I've never had an issue with it and this is my second 15 month contact which is ending in 2 months. The phone is then unlocked to you and open to any network.... or just jailbreak it.

Thanks. Seems to be a good package that I'm unaware of - which mobile provider are you with?

Yorky wrote: »
    Thanks. Seems to be a good package that I'm unaware of - which mobile provider are you with?

Emobile (same as meteor) And actually quite surprised with coverage.. Only problems when in the middle of nowhere which has been my experience with every provider.

Not sure what their latest deals are but worth a look.

Advertisement