Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B6 diesel A4 thermostat

Options
  • 23-01-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can someone give me a rough price to replacing a thermotat for B6 Audi A4. I have been quoted €180, but I feel this is a bit high.

Thanks in advance
    LN
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Which engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

1.9 TDI, PD engine, non quattro. 130 6 speed.

€160 is way OTT if it is just for the thermostat and doesn't include any other work such as coolant temp sensor.

It is a good idea to replace the housing and o-ring at the same time as the thermostat. We have found over the years that refitting a used plastic housing on these engines very often led to leaks afterwards so given the fact that a new housing is very cheap (about €7) we always replace them at the same time as the thermostat. We have also had problems with cheap aftermarket thermostats not working properly and also the sealing rings that come with the non-genuine thermostats not fitting properly so any time we do a thermostat job on one now it gets a genuine thermostat, housing and o-ring.

About the most you should spend on this job would be about €75-80. That is about what we charge and covers half an hour labour and a genuine thermostat, housing and o-ring plus correct G13 coolant/anti freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bean_Flicker

€160 is way OTT if it is just for the thermostat and doesn't include any other work such as coolant temp sensor.

It is a good idea to replace the housing and o-ring at the same time as the thermostat. We have found over the years that refitting a used plastic housing on these engines very often led to leaks afterwards so given the fact that a new housing is very cheap (about €7) we always replace them at the same time as the thermostat. We have also had problems with cheap aftermarket thermostats not working properly and also the sealing rings that come with the non-genuine thermostats not fitting properly so any time we do a thermostat job on one now it gets a genuine thermostat, housing and o-ring.

About the most you should spend on this job would be about €75-80. That is about what we charge and covers half an hour labour and a genuine thermostat, housing and o-ring plus correct G13 coolant/anti freeze.

Is this the housing part you are talking about George?

That's the one yes.

• Advertisement

Cheers George

Don't buy a spurious housing by the way, they don't last ;)

Don't buy a spurious housing by the way, they don't last ;)

Ha no I'll get the whole kit from the dealers,

I learned the hard way and would now only ever put or use genuine parts in my car again :o

Jaysus its tight for in there :eek:

Could bearly land a socket on the bolts :o

Will have to order a few 1/4 inch drive extensions to loosen the bolts :(

A wobble extension is your man ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement