Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squash service

Options
  • 23-01-2013 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Had a debate tonight that we need to get sorted regarding service rule. So I need 3rd party proof. Question is: When serving, if you keep one foot in the box can you put the other foot forward, ahead of the line, so you would be closer to the front wall when serving?

Apologies for asking stupid question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

My understanding is that as long as one foot is in the service box, the position of the other foot is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

lexa wrote: »
    My understanding is that as long as one foot is in the service box, the position of the other foot is irrelevant

That is also my understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

Years ago when I was a nipper there was a rule whereby you had to have both feet behind the service line but it has since been revised.

http://www.worldsquash.org/ws/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/110920_Singles-Rules-V6.pdf
    A service is good if all the conditions in Rules 4.4.1 - 4.4.5 are met:
    Rule 4.4.1
    "the server has part of one foot in contact with the floor within the service box without any part of that foot touching the service box line (part of that foot may project over this line if it does not touch the line) at the time of striking the ball;"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Hey Dizzg, you'll be able to answer this, I'm thinking of joining a squash club, probably Lenister, can you bring guests to play with you usually?
    Just I've 2 friends I play with now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

I'm sure most clubs wouldn't mind bringing a guest once or twice, but I think after that they'd expect all three of you to be members.

As well as it not really being fair on the paid-up members, having non-members taking up court-time, non-members probably aren't covered by insurance. The likes of MP, Leinster and Sandycove etc, they're all members-only clubs - owned by the members and run by the members. Plus your game will improve no end if you make use of the internal leagues, ladders and club nights, rather than keep playing the same two people all the time.

If there are three of you looking to join a club, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask the secretaries about a group discount. Y'never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 wenders44

Yes definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Cool, thanks Dizzy G, very helpful as always.
    Good idea on the group discount idea, there might be four of us who'd like to join. Leinster is only 200euro so it seems mad not to join. It's the nearest Cub to me also. I would like to play lots of folks. My only thinking is that having set up or helped set up the Spawell Saturday League team and this year being our first year in existence, it would be a shame to give it up. And now we've an internal league running in the Spawell, and if this proves a hit we might do better next year in the league. But the Spawell is 15 euro and hour to play after 4pm during the week, it has no heating and it's the worst place I've ever played. It's also 5mins away from me.
    What to do what to do, Mount Pleasnt have open friday evening were anyone can come along and play, which I find hard to believe, but might be workth checking out and seeing what it's like.
    I do like the social plus of joining a club.

Advertisement