Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Practicals 2013

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Seeing as we're on the last run in to that infamous 2 weeks of practicals and orals, I thought we needed a new thread for Music Practicals this year.

Personally, I'm doing 4 piano pieces and Tech. Doing my G8 exam at the same time so I'm using 3 from that and doing Bo' Rhap.

Would love to know what others are doing.

Choosing Music Technology? 5 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Doing 4 group singing (3 part) and Technology.

The songs I'm doing (bit of a strange mix) work well with harmonies:
    God Bless the Broken Road - Rascal Flatts
    Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
    All I ask of you - Phantom of the Opera
    Little Things - One Direction (:p)

Practicing for them is one of the few enjoyable things about the LC tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Doing 4 group singing (3 part) and Technology.

The songs I'm doing (bit of a strange mix) work well with harmonies:
    God Bless the Broken Road - Rascal Flatts
    Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
    All I ask of you - Phantom of the Opera
    Little Things - One Direction (:p)

Practicing for them is one of the few enjoyable things about the LC tbh.

Nice mix. Variety is what they look for, and you've got a great choice. .......except the last one. :P

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Nice mix. Variety is what they look for, and you've got a great choice. .......except the last one. :P

Trust me, it sounds good when it's ACTUALLY harmonised, nothing like what.......they do. :p

Trust me, it sounds good when it's ACTUALLY harmonised, nothing like what.......they do. :p

Ya. Did it for a school play. Real pianist, guitarists and a drummer, proper singers and an epic sound.

Lyrics are a bit dodgy though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I'm doing four on drums, four on guitar :)
    Drums: Stockholm Syndrome, No One Knows, a jazz piece, and a grade piece
    Guitar: as yet undecided, so eeep :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Come on lads, practicals soon, if any threads should be busy its this one! Contribute! :P
    I'm doing four on drums, four on guitar :)
    Drums: Stockholm Syndrome, No One Knows, a jazz piece, and a grade piece
    Guitar: as yet undecided, so eeep :P

Nice one, one of my favorite Muse songs, insanely cool guitar riff and it'll defo work well for drums :)

I'm doing 6 pieces on guitar, which are:

Acoustic arrangement of Over the Rainbow
    Beatles - Here Comes the Sun
    Blondie - Once way or another
    Guns n roses - Live and let die
    Led Zeppelin - the ocean
    Free - All right now

Pretty happy with em, good bit of variety anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

I'll be singing for mine along with Technology, and here's my current setlist (which I'm happy enough with), but I could end up changing one or two before my practical:
    • Neon Trees - Everybody Talks
    • Ace of Base - The Sign
    • Jeremy Jordan (of Smash) - Broadway Here I Come
    • Diane Cluck - Petite Roses

The first three are really useful to show that I can expand vocal range, but I'm a bit nervous about the last one because it's acapella, and while I can keep rhythm and stay in tune etc., I'd still be a tad nervous. I'll probably change that one for something else if I can find something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 emc2010

I'm doing 6 piano: :)
    1. Woodbrook
    2. Maple leaf rag
    3. Time to say goodbye
    4. Robins return
    5. Clair de Lune
    6. Bach prelude xv
    Terrified its all going to go wrong :rolleyes:

inthezone wrote: »
    I'll be singing for mine along with Technology, and here's my current setlist (which I'm happy enough with), but I could end up changing one or two before my practical:
    • Neon Trees - Everybody Talks
    • Ace of Base - The Sign
    • Jeremy Jordan (of Smash) - Broadway Here I Come
    • Diane Cluck - Petite Roses

Are you singing Broadway Here I Come in its original key. :eek: That note at the end is high!!!

My practicals completely changed since I last posted above. I'm now doing 13 songs. :rolleyes: 4 solo, 4 group.

Solo:
    Bring Him Home - Les Mis
    You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    SOS - ABBA

Group:
    God Bless The Broken Road - Rascall Flatts
    All I Ask Of You - Phantom Of the Opera
    Do You Love Me? - Fiddler On the Roof
    Dona Nopis Pacem - some Latin song - 4 part harmony.

And then 5 more songs with various other people in my class. I'm going second so at least mine will be over and done with before my songs with everyone else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I'm doing 4 guitar and then Tech. Still not 100% on my songs but it's looking like:
    • Blackbird by the Beatles
    • Someone Like You by Edele (The Sungha Yung version)
    • I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor by the Arctic Monkeys (a bit simple, open to changing it still even though my teacher says it sounds well and will be fine)
    • An instrumental I composed with my looper pedal

The extent of my teaching with the music tech was being told what program to download and given a piece to type up for it. Our teacher hasn't devoted any class time to it. Does anyone have a break down of the rules/objectives because he wasn't really clear? He also said we've to do 16 bars but the string quartet piece we got only has 14 in it. :/

• Advertisement

Are you singing Broadway Here I Come in its original key. :eek: That note at the end is high!!!

My practicals completely changed since I last posted above. I'm now doing 13 songs. :rolleyes: 4 solo, 4 group.

Solo:
    Bring Him Home - Les Mis
    You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    SOS - ABBA

Group:
    God Bless The Broken Road - Rascall Flatts
    All I Ask Of You - Phantom Of the Opera
    Do You Love Me? - Fiddler On the Roof
    Dona Nopis Pacem - some Latin song - 4 part harmony.

And then 5 more songs with various other people in my class. I'm going second so at least mine will be over and done with before my songs with everyone else. :)

Haha no, sorry, I forgot to say that :P I've transposed it down two semitones and tbh I'm going falsetto on that high note, it doesn't take too much from the song :cool:

I don't think I could do that many songs! I could probably do six songs for myself with no technology (I'm just sticking with my arrangement now) but I'd get so nervous thinking about how my performance could affect someone else's practical! Also, I love All I Ask of You and if it wasn't a duet I'd be including it in my solos, as I'll be auditioning for Raoul in a few months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bigt132

I'm doing 6 on bass guitar as I am just that crazy;

RHCP: Around The World
    JS Bach: Cello Suite 1 (1st Mvt.)
    Muse: Hysteria
    Stevie Wonder: Sir Duke
    Rush: YYZ
    An (original) instrumental with my band

I'm just afraid that the examiner would be expecting mostly classical playing and singing, and so won't really know how to judge/mark bass guitar playing (mostly rock) cos I'd imagine it's quite an obscure instrument to examine. Should I try to add another classical song or just leave it as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

bigt132 wrote: »
    I'm just afraid that the examiner would be expecting mostly classical playing and singing, and so won't really know how to judge/mark bass guitar playing (mostly rock) cos I'd imagine it's quite an obscure instrument to examine. Should I try to add another classical song or just leave it as it is?

I'd say if its an instrument they're not familiar with, it'll just be a case of, if it sounds good, then you'll get the marks :pac: It is being marked as a performance, so just do your best and you'll be grand :) For junior cert, I did all rock songs on guitar, the guitar fell off the strap halfway through one of em... still managed to get an A :rolleyes: Although they are looking for a bit of variety, so adding another classical song might be good for that if most of them are rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

I'm doing 4 songs on guitar and Music Tech

Blackbird- The Beatles
    Juan Loco- Rodrigo y Gabriela
    Tears In The Rain- Joe Satriani
    Hall Of The Mountain King- Edvard Grieg

I still feel so unprepared :(

inthezone wrote: »
    Haha no, sorry, I forgot to say that :P I've transposed it down two semitones and tbh I'm going falsetto on that high note, it doesn't take too much from the song :cool:

I don't think I could do that many songs! I could probably do six songs for myself with no technology (I'm just sticking with my arrangement now) but I'd get so nervous thinking about how my performance could affect someone else's practical! Also, I love All I Ask of You and if it wasn't a duet I'd be including it in my solos, as I'll be auditioning for Raoul in a few months :D

It's a great song either way! :)

I don't mind doing them. I couldn't really say no anyway. There's not a great choice of male singers in my class. :P Most of them are real "performance" songs, so it's pretty fun. Really? Wow cool. :D Where are they being held? University? :)

It's a great song either way! :)

I don't mind doing them. I couldn't really say no anyway. There's not a great choice of male singers in my class. :P Most of them are real "performance" songs, so it's pretty fun. Really? Wow cool. :D Where are they being held? University? :)

Nah, just a local production :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

I'm doing 6 solo Irish Harp, 3 Turlough O'Carolan pieces, a study, Valse Russe and interlude. Also doing my grade 8 this year and don't know all my songs for that yet :S I'm terrified of messing up as I get nervous performing and music is the only subject I'm aiming for an A1 in... and as you know... one mistake can take your confidence away making you mess up more, at least that's what I find...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I'm doing 4 piano and 4 Irish flute. Only decided on my fourth flute piece today, my teacher's going to shoot me when I get back :P

Piano:
    -The Blue Danube Waltz by Strauss
    - Mechanic's Rag (some Grade 5 ragtime piece I exhumed from the depths of my sheet music library)
    -Jack In The Box (Grade 6 Bartok piece, very weird tunefullly)
    -Behind the Waterfall/Desert Rain Medley by David Lanz (New Agey thingy)

Trad Flute:
    - The Butterfly (slip jig)
    -Greencastle Hornpipe and Boys of Bluehill (Hornpipe set)
    - King of the Fairies (playing to the Horslips version)
    -Planxty Irwin (Planxty verision soundtrack, I was going to do Caoineadh Cú Chulainn, but I couldn't find a backing track with no melody, so I'd have to be spot on with the uilleann pipes on the audio, which is virtually impossible for me, given that it's a free rhythm slow air)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 94Conor

I'm doing four songs on guitar and technology.

Altogether my songs add up to a length of about 13-14 minutes, does anyone know anything about how much time you have or if there's a minimum amount of time you have to play for?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

maybe a bit on the short side but not enough to dock you on, our teacher said a maximum of 22 minutes, I think anything between 10-20 minutes should be fine :)

• Advertisement

Finally sorted mine: (4 Piano)

Classical arrangement of Titanium (made it myself)
    Invention in B Flat by Bach
    The Little White Donkey by Ibert
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    and Technology.

Not to forget the 6 other pieces I'm playing for 2 other singers in my class. Been doing accompaniments in the practicals since first year, so it's even easier alongside my own LC.

Advertisement