Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A New and Improved UrbanSea

• 22-01-2013 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

I have had many logs on here (3/4) and I'm not entirely sure any of them were profitable. I haven't posted here in over a year, though I've found my betting to be much more successful in the interim period. I'd mainly attribute this to being more selective with my betting and studying the selections more carefully.

This section probably hasn't been as popular as it once was, when Pyro had his brilliant log running, but there have been some I have enjoyed reading in the mean time, Nulty was always good for big priced winners,RJ and his lays, whilst I liked Huntley's in depth form reading.

I like to offer reasoning with my selections, I find this helps me delve deeper into the form and therefore enhance my punting.

Another reason I believe the failure of my other logs occurred may be down to the types of horses I'd bet on. It's very rare now that I back shorties unless I really fancy them and find them value at their odds, but it is also very rare now that I back the ''sexy'' horse in the race, for example say a Godolphin handicap debutante. There is much better alternatives elsewhere I find, and backing seemingly exposed and out of form horses who are well handicapped has become a central part to my betting of late.

I have no staking plan as such, my bets can range from anything to five euro to 200 (though anything about 50 is quite rare, but a bet like this may be made in the future).

My first bet for the new log is

Prince of Burma 3.30 Lingfield 4/1

Stake:20 euro

I've missed the 11/2 but will take some 4s. I'll have some reasoning up for my selection in due course, and thanks to anyone for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

It's very rare now that I back shorties unless I really fancy them and find them value at their odds

Do you think that finding value is the key to punting?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I knew someone was gonna mention that lol

Prince of Burma

Have been following this horse for over a year and I think tomorrow's the day to get back on him in terms of having my money on. Won a Kempton 7 furlong maiden at the second attempt at the back end of 2010 when with John Gosden, he entered handicaps off a mark of 80, finishing a five length second first time out at Haydock, before disappointing next couple of starts, though the handicapper was slow to relent. Finally came good around this time last year, landing a mile Kempton handicap off a mark of 75, before landing the double around here over a mile under a six pound penalty again over a mile, comfortably beating a subsequent winner by 2 and a half lengths.

Found life a bit more difficult thereafter with his revised rating going up to 88 and did contest in much better races than this, running well in many races without ever looking like winning, including when a 2 and a half length fifth in a 40k Doncaster handicap off 88, as well as in a much better race than this at Lingfield last May off 87, beaten under four lengths, with the second that day (off 95) winning a strong York handicap subsequently off a mark of 98. He's merely been going through the motions of late, but did run a good race two starts back over a mile here off a 4 pound higher mark, holding every chance until weakening in the final furlong (traded at 1.5). Ran well last time out over six furlongs considering this horse has never struck me as a sprinter, and as a result he's fallen to a mark of 78, effectively 3lbs below his last win considering his penalty.

Step up in trip should suit and he looks dangerously handicapped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

The best of luck with this, will be following. Good to see you have another log.

Thank you kiely.

Prince of Burma was a bit of a hard luck story-travelled well but repeatedly blocked in the straight (traded at 1/3 on). That said,it's questionable if he would have beaten the winner, but he's no doubt well handicapped and I'll probably be on again.

Just one for today, wasn't going to put it in the log but said I would, having a fiver on Tarquinius at 33/1 in the Theystes at Gowran. Always have a bet in the race, and this horse was progressing nicely until running poorly last time out. That was over 2 and a half miles and there are turtles who'd outpace this fella. Extended 3 miles on heavy ground will be right up his street.

Lost by a head. I'd have preferred if he was a distance second.

• Advertisement

Usually have one at Dundalk and will go for

Khelino 7.50 13/2

Was bitterly disappointing before being upped in trip to a mile a couple of starts back, winning her first start over a mile off a mark of 52 (won a shade cosily, had been boxed in,was value for more). Ran well next time out off a mark of 59, and ran similarly well dropped back to seven. Ran fine last time out back over a mile in a race she wasn't weighted to win and can hopefully go better tonight back in a handicap off a mark of 57

Stake:20 euro

Khelino didn't win and the log didn't last. Going to try and keep up to date more.

Really fancy Strait of Zanzibar tomorrow at the curragh 10/1

Typically competitive mile handicap to end proceedings at the Curragh tomorrow and Strait of Zanzibar is a decent each way bet here. A real likeable and honest gelding, most of his form has come on the all weather, though he’s been given a real chance by the handicapper and hopefully he can capitalize tomorrow.
    Highly tried as a two year old, he gained his sole victory that year when landing the Listed Hurricane Run stakes at Tipperary over 7 furlongs on his third start, before being set some stiff challenges thereafter, giving him a rating of over 100. He returned at 3 and disappointed, looking like he hadn’t trained on before being given some relief by the handicapper, and was a close up third in a decent Dundalk mile handicap off a mark of 85, though he didn’t get his head in front again until his comeback run this year, again at Dundalk off a mark of 82, staying on really well under Niall McCullagh to just deny Jamesie over 7 furlongs.

Proved he could be competitive off higher marks, a good third next time out in a better race at Dundalk behind Hot Bed off 85, and surprisingly nearly won at Navan in June off a pound lower over 6 furlongs, just being denied in a four way photo finish. Was placed again at Tipperary off a mark of 85 in July, and the horse has been kept busy since, though merely going through the motions and as a result his mark has been sliding. That said he caught the eye the last twice and he ran much better than his sixth place finish suggests last week in a strong Leopardstown handicap won by Barack. Dropped to a mark of 79 tomorrow I think he’s ready to strike, and this is a maximum each way bet for me.

Stake:50 each way

Advertisement