Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New online dictionary?

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

I was half-watching the 6-1 news, and there was an item about a new Irish dictionary. Didn't quite catch its name/web address... And I can't find the name, the site, or the story via google news. And were they saying it hadn't actually been released yet? If so, somewhat pointless and bizarrely timed story, no?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Usual B/S not available for several months, they just can't wait to get their mugs on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's there (or at least the first 7,000 words!)

try focloir.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭syntax1

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I was half-watching the 6-1 news, and there was an item about a new Irish dictionary. Didn't quite catch its name/web address... And I can't find the name, the site, or the story via google news. And were they saying it hadn't actually been released yet? If so, somewhat pointless and bizarrely timed story, no?

They said the paper version will be available from 2015 but the online version is already live at the address given above.

BTW, why didn't you watch the Six One News on the player?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Usual B/S not available for several months, they just can't wait to get their mugs on the TV.
    Rather the impression I got, TBH...
    Cliste wrote: »
    It's there (or at least the first 7,000 words!)

try focloir.ie :)
    Thanks, that's the one! It's a bit like the old joke "Can't spell it? Look it up in the dictionary... But if I can't spell it..." Tried several reasonable approximations to that, but not quite close enough for google...
    syntax1 wrote: »
    BTW, why didn't you watch the Six One News on the player?
    Had very mixed results with the Player under Linux. Their screwing vigorously around with DRM seems to confuse the media player more often than not. *mutters darkly about Windowscentric public bodies*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

It's probably not indexed by google, and if it is it might have had a low ranking

Searching "Irish dictionary" today, and it shows up at the bottom of the first page...!

Out of curiosity do you use Linux through Irish? (albeit a partial translation only!) I do, but I'm curious if many others do! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Cliste wrote: »
    Out of curiosity do you use Linux through Irish? (albeit a partial translation only!) I do, but I'm curious if many others do! :)
    I'm afraid not. Have enough trouble with them separately to be doubling my trouble. :)

Advertisement