Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New house - Gas Fireplace, Pilot Light Confusion

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and my girlfriend have just moved into a new house... Yay. Everything is great!

However, we had to tinker with the gas fireplace to get it to light.

But now when we turn it off, we still see the pilot light on.

The instructions say to turn off the pilot... shut off the gas at service tap..

But.. we have no idea where that is!

FYI its a "Broseley fires 16 ins. inset coal effect fire"

Anyone any advice?

Thanks!

David
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Turning the knob all the way off should out it.

But the valve should be either left or right of the fireplace. Pipe probably comes out of the floor then valve then into the wall and into the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Hmm.. we cannot find this valve anywhere..

On the gas fire itself there are just 2 buttons. I can see the gas pipe goes to the back.

Like this is oldish, 20 years or so. if that makes any difference :)

The pipe doesnt come out again?

Not that we can see... Could it be piped in at the back of the fireplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

djmarkus wrote: »
    Not that we can see... Could it be piped in at the back of the fireplace?
    The pipe might not be visible at the side of the fireplace. I've seen them boxed in with a plastic cover for access. Also seen them boxed in with no access. Is your skirting board out from the wall a few inches at the side of the chimney breast?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Also tap the side of the chimney breast. Have come across the access panel covered in wall paper, especially in older houses.

Are you definitely turned the control off completely to the off position?

shane0007 wrote: »
    Also tap the side of the chimney breast. Have come across the access panel covered in wall paper, especially in older houses.

Are you definitely turned the control off completely to the off position?

Yea, according to the instructions, I have to turn off the mythical service tap to turn off the pilot :)

Its worth noting, this house has been vacant for about a year, and the Gas was never disconnected. Would Gas have been coming from the pilot light for the last year?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,092 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

can you take a pic of the controls on the fire itself?
    seems bizarre that the pilot would be on all the time on a fire...a boiler yeah...but a fire?

No as the thermocouple would not allow gas to flow. The service tap is not the means of turning off the pilot light, the gas control knob is. I think you have not turned the control knob all the way to the off position. This will extinguish the pilot. The service tap valve is a service valve!

No as the thermocouple would not allow gas to flow. The service tap is not the means of turning off the pilot light, the gas control knob is. I think you have not turned the control knob all the way to the off position. This will extinguish the pilot. The service tap valve is a service valve!

Its a two button configuration.. no knobs!.. once my phone charges I'll take a pic.. of the controls... and the instructions.

• Advertisement

How did you turn it on in the first instance? How do you control the flame?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

When not lite you push it in twist to the left and it sparks and lights then you turn up the flame. Try twist to the right and push it in at the same time . opposite of lighting it.i just tryed it on an old one that I removed.

Here are the controls.. and left/right of the fire mantel. and the instructions...

https://plus.google.com/photos/113877564523363837839/albums/5836413746040699345?authkey=CJiKz5edh_LtzQE&banner=pwa

The strength of the main fire can be controlled using the right hand button. But not the pilot light.

Never seen one like that. Nuts!

Is the gas pipe from the burner exiting the left or the right wall or through the back wall? There must be a isolation valve.
    If left hand button is in and right hand one out, does this turn it off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Never seen one like that. Nuts!

Is the gas pipe from the burner exiting the left or the right wall or through the back wall? There must be a isolation valve.
    If left hand button is in and right hand one out, does this turn it off?
    I've seen the isolation valve either under or behind the fire. Usually awkward but accessible all the same( and totally wrong )!
    The ones I saw were the old brass valve. Think they were called taper valves, or something like that, feckers for leaking.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    I've seen the isolation valve either under or behind the fire. Usually awkward but accessible all the same( and totally wrong )!
    The ones I saw were the old brass valve. Think they were called taper valves, or something like that, feckers for leaking.
    Yes most are tapered brass valves which are non-conforming even if not leaking. I replace rather than issue a NOH.
    OP, if you cannot find the isolation valve, you must shut off the gas at the meter & call in an RGI to rectify the situation.

Would it be possible that the valve for the fire would be in the Gas service box outside?

djmarkus wrote: »
    Would it be possible that the valve for the fire would be in the Gas service box outside?

very much doubt it.

Advertisement