Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No idea what to pick for Leaving Cert

Options
  • 22-01-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

So they gave us the sheets where we pick our subjects for the Leaving Cert. We have to have it up by Friday. We have to pick 4 subjects but I've no fuking clue what I should pick. I was thinking of doing French, Biology, Home Ec and Music but when I asked my brother today, he said I should pick a science and business subject so I've more options. So I thought about dropping Home Ec because you can't do much with that and I did it for JC.
    Does anyone have an idea on what I should do? It would really help :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Qwaszx

It depends what you want to do in life and what your good and interested at. For example if you wanted medicine you would chemistry and physics or biology or both ( preferably biology? For business you would need business/ economics etc and probably a language. The 4 that you've mentioned there don't really work well together for a well balanced and keeping options open I would go with French, a science (biology), a business subject ( your brothers right) and something that interests you and your good at music is mostly taken as a extra subject as the syllabus isn't that big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

i'm not going to say he is wrong...but I don't think he's totally right either. You must pick subjects you like and enjoy and do well in. Do you like business? I don't think it is necessary for keeping your options open at all...I heard somewhere that all university courses teach business as if it's completely brand new for everyone. But you did say you have no idea so maybe it could be worthwhile doing it if you're not serious about home ec at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you're iffy about home ec don't go there, it's not the easy option it's sometimes regarded as and involves far more work and far less fun cookery that students generally assume it will. On the other hand home ec and biology cover some common ground so if you're willing to put the work in, they could be complimentary subjects to slightly reduce your workload and reinforce your understanding of certain areas.
    Take a look at your Junior Cert results and give serious consideration to those subjects in which you scored highest.

Think back over your TY so far: what elements of the year have you most enjoyed? Did you have any moment of enlightenment on work experience where you thought 'hey! I might like to do this in real life!'?

With regard to the subjects you have chosen so far, figure out why you have chosen them and why not others. If you're basing your subject choices on the choices your friends have made, think again!

Discuss it with your parents, a friend you trust, and the school's career guidance teacher (or your favourite teacher): put them on the spot and ask what they see you doing as a career. Of course you might disagree, but it's worth asking the people who really know you and have an insight into you as a person.

Have a look at online aptitude tests too, 'what career would suit me' type stuff can be surprisingly helpful when taken with a grain or two of salt :)

At the end of the day I think your question is 'how can I keep my options open for when I decide what area i'd like to enter after school?', whereas a more useful question to ask yourself might be 'what general areas am I likely to consider as career choices?' (By general areas I mean for example education, medicine, administration, law, catering, business, IT etc).
    At least if you can answer this question you will have a clearer idea of what subjects to choose.

Best of luck with subject choices and enjoy the rest of your TY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I dont think there's any business course in Ireland that would require you to do Business in school (open to correction, but I doubt it).

Keeping at least one science and a third language would be most of what you need to do to keep your options open. Aside from maybe HL Irish for teaching and HL Maths for certain ends of Science/Engineering.

Advertisement