Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt Collection Problem? HELP

Options
  • 22-01-2013 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am trying to chase a debt from a former employer and needs peoples advice. I worked for this company in Dublin City Centre for roughly a year but about 6 months in, my employer began underpaying my monthly wages. He began paying me in cash to the sum of what would be only a week or two weeks work. All the time he would keep saying he had new contracts coming in at the end of the month, and that I would get paid. I was not the only one in the company this was happening too, and slowly but surely they began leaving to get other "paying" jobs. I stuck with it, in the the hope that I was get my money back but it never came and I was forced to leave last October for a new job.

I've tried chasing the employer ever since to claim back my money which is roughly around 9k, but he has just given me excuse after excuse. I also tried scaring him with legal letters but actually didn't fully pursue that avenue as I thought it would cost a lot and ultimately I mightn't get anything back. I also genuinely thought he had no money to chase after. I met him a few months ago and he said he was going to pay me back half of the money, through his own good will because I've been patient for so long. He said I was the only person in the company that was going to be getting money back. He made it out that he was doing me a favour. I accepted the payoff of 4.5k and trusted him that he would pay it off in installments over 6 months or so. But when the first payment was due he was nowhere to be seen, not answering his phone or my emails.

I spent a lot of time searching on the net for info about him and found out that he had opened a new business (as a co-partner) in the same address as the old company. I duely paid a little visit to his office one day and was greeted by the co-partner who said he wasn't there. I noticed a brand newly decorated office with nice new computers.

Now I'm in a situation where I don't know what to do. I want to get my money back but because his old company is actually gone now, do I have any legs to stand on? Do I have any right to walk into his new place and lift a few macbooks? Any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not a topic for this forum. Try Work & Jobs or Legal Discussion.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement