Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few more maths problems, anyone know how to solve these?

Options
  • 22-01-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

1) In how many ways can a careless secretary place
    four letters in four envelopes so that nobody
    gets the right letter?

2) In a private sweep, 100 tickets are sold. A man
    buys one ticket. A prize is awarded on each draw
    of a ticket. Assuming replacement of a ticket
    after each draw, find the least number of prizes
    which must be awarded so that the probability of
    the man winning at least one prize is at least 25%.

3) Find the numerical value of the greatest term of
    the expansion (1 + 2x)^9 when x = 1/3.
    Leave your answer as a fraction.

Give them a lash if ye can and I'll tell if ye get the answer correct. These are the ones I am struggling with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Why would we give them a lash if you are struggling with them? Why not show what you've attempted and we'll help you with the steps? There's no point in us doing it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Why would we give them a lash if you are struggling with them? Why not show what you've attempted and we'll help you with the steps? There's no point in us doing it for you

Woah sorry, by seeing the answer I could learn, I think that is valuable but if you wanna fish for "thanks" fair enough, I'll go along with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

1) For this one I know that 4! is 24 so thats the total, cant find a way to get the orders however I will keep trying If you know how that would be handy :) the answer is 9 just dont know how to get that without writing all the possibilities out.
    2) I got this one just now, if anyone wants to know how I would be glad to help :)
    3) For this one I have no clue at all I would show my "attempt" but there is none. If someone knows please tell me, or tease me by announcing the first step... whatever floats your boat.

Thanks to anyone who actually helps out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do your own homework.
    Thread closed.

Don't post any more similar threads, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement