Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and rent allowance

Options
  • 22-01-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey guys im thinking going cork next yr for college could you receive rent allowance for renting there as i dont think id survive on the 188e a week im currently not renting thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pppink

Im hoping to return to college in September, and if so will be applying for BTEA. I see there were some changes in the recent budget. If i am currently receiving a reduced payment (age and due to parents income) will i only receive a reduced payment if i go back to college???? i dont really understand it to be honest...does anyone know how this works????THANKS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kiitycat

hey i am currently getting 188 and i was 20 when i sarted btea but yes u will get the reduced rate i think its around 140 what age are u :)

hey, yeah but will i still get the reduced rate even if im not living at home when in college?? im 23, but dont think im eligible for the mature student grant even still, think im a few days short!! thankyou!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

pppink wrote: »
    hey, yeah but will i still get the reduced rate even if im not living at home when in college?? im 23, but dont think im eligible for the mature student grant even still, think im a few days short!! thankyou!! :)

You have to be 23 on the 1st of January aswell of the year going back to college if you are thinking of going the mature student route. Caught me out before.

Limericks wrote: »
    You have to be 23 on the 1st of January aswell of the year going back to college if you are thinking of going the mature student route. Caught me out before.

yeah i turned 23 a few days after that date!!!! i guess i wouldn't get it then???? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

kiitycat wrote: »
    Hey guys im thinking going cork next yr for college could you receive rent allowance for renting there as i dont think id survive on the 188e a week im currently not renting thanks :)

You can get rent allowance but you'll need to be approved by the local authority as having a housing need ie. you need to get yourself onto the housing list in cork

yeah i turned 23 a few days after that date!!!! i guess i wouldn't get it then???? :confused:

Sorry but your not eligible then :(

Henlars67 wrote: »
    You can get rent allowance but you'll need to be approved by the local authority as having a housing need ie. you need to get yourself onto the housing list in cork

isn't rent allowance really hard to get though?? isn't it something like you have to be living in a place for at 6 months before they will even consider it????? (don't know if this is FULLY TRUE:p)... but apparently its very hard to get!!

isn't rent allowance really hard to get though?? isn't it something like you have to be living in a place for at 6 months before they will even consider it????? (don't know if this is FULLY TRUE:p)... but apparently its very hard to get!!

That doesn't apply if you are on the housing list

Sorry but your not eligible then :(
    ...*sigh* the system sucks :(

• Advertisement

...*sigh* the system sucks :(

Tell me about it. I was gutted when I couldn't do it. Spent the next year on the dole to make sure I could get the benefits the next time. So ridiculous.

That doesn't apply if you are on the housing list

what is that? are you put on it if you apply? even still...they take forever to process it....as with everything!...sorry they just annoy me!!!!!:)

Tell me about it. I was gutted when I couldn't do it. Spent the next year on the dole to make sure I could get the benefits the next time. So ridiculous.
    yeah its such a JOKE. even if you only work for a couple of months you lose pretty much any entitlement to btea?!them and their stupid 'conditions' or whatever they call them!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

the toughest part of rent allowance is finding a landlord that will accept it,trust me im speaking from experience on this.alot of places for rent will even specify this in the ad "rent allowance not accepted". most landlords i have dealt with down through the years are unregistered chancer cowboys who dont want this extra hassle of providing rent books etc and risk being exposed for tax evasion. i am currently a student on btea and am surviving quite comfortably on 188....but am stayin in digs. if u are willing to do this it is quite managable. i pay 100 euro for mon to fri which is expensive,u could prob find same deal for around 80-90 eur.alot of places will let u stay wkend for a bit extra aswell. be very very careful tho who is owner of house tho. alot of strange middle aged sexually repressed ladies run these digs(again i know this from experience) and it is the difference between a good digs or not on how sound owner is., you should get a good feel for this when you meet the person though

what is that? are you put on it if you apply? even still...they take forever to process it....as with everything!...sorry they just annoy me!!!!!:)

what do you mean by 'what is that'?

You need to meet criteria to get on the housing list. Don't say you're a student. You need to move there move there first, sign on there and then apply to get on the list.

Once you're on it you go to the community welfare officer in the area you're living in and you should get your rent allowance fairly fast.

what do you mean by 'what is that'?

You need to meet criteria to get on the housing list. Don't say you're a student. You need to move there move there first, sign on there and then apply to get on the list.

Once you're on it you go to the community welfare officer in the area you're living in and you should get your rent allowance fairly fast.

i just didnt know you had to be on a 'list' as you say.....
    if you got rent allowance in one location, and moved (for college) would you get it automatically? surely they would know you were a student (if i was getting btea etc. i think it'd be fairly obvious....

i just didnt know you had to be on a 'list' as you say.....
    if you got rent allowance in one location, and moved (for college) would you get it automatically? surely they would know you were a student (if i was getting btea etc. i think it'd be fairly obvious....

No, you would be in a different area so you wouldn't automatically get rent allowance. you MUST be on the housing list in that area.

If you're a student the local authority probably won't put you on the list.

You will have to move there a few months BEFORE you start college, sign on there and apply to get on the list before you start getting BTEA.

No, you would be in a different area so you wouldn't automatically get rent allowance. you MUST be on the housing list in that area.

If you're a student the local authority probably won't put you on the list.

You will have to move there a few months BEFORE you start college, sign on there and apply to get on the list before you start getting BTEA.

oh right.....
    HATE SOCIAL WELFARE:mad:
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 buzzybb

Im not sure what your situation is like but I have been on the BTEA since 1st year (now 4th) and I have to say that it is possible to survive on 188e a week. I dont get rent allowance but I have still managed in Dublin. You just have to adjust to it and there will be times where you struggle but if it means doing the course you want to do then its worth it. Best of Luck.

Advertisement