Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access 2003 copy database

Options
  • 22-01-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to make a copy of a database in our office as I want to have a snapshot of that database for a certain date. I copied the file to another location on the hard drive. Now, when I make a change to the original database it replicates with the copy. How is this happening and is there a way to stop it? Let me know if you need any additional info.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have both files got the same name?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dextor03

No, saved under a different name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Is it just a front end linked to a back end database?

No, it's just a single .mdb file on a office computer. I am not too familiar with Access myself but was under the impression that if I made a copy of the database and renamed it, it would not be linked to the original database.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It depends it could be a number of things.

You can split your db - so effectively you have a front end - looks like access - but updates tables in a different file. If you copy this front end then all you are doing is creating another front-end updating/accessing the same base tables.

Your db might have linked files - so while the original is pulling/updating these files your new db will access the same files and so the data appears to be changing because it is.
    On your toolbar have a look to see if linked table manager flags anything - cannot remember where this is on 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I agree with Taltos, sounds like linked tables to me, open the DB, then on the tools menu click Database Utilities then Linked Table Manager, might throw more light on it from there

21/25

jamesd wrote: »
    Is it just a front end linked to a back end database?

As I said, I'm no MS Access expert! Turned out I was in fact just renaming the front end database. Once I found the actual database I was able to change it and all is now fine.

Thanks again!

Advertisement