Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilgrimage in Ireland

Options
  • 22-01-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Folks,

I'm doing research on pilgrimage in contemporary Ireland for my PhD. I'm particularly interested in the practices at local holy wells and Croagh Patrick.

My research looks at how pilgrimage is manifest nowadays. The pilgrimage routes and rituals which are found across the island are well-established traditions, some dating back to the pre-Christian era. I am interested in researching these traditions and the people that practice them.

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on these. Or, if anyone has experiences they'd like to share, please contact me.

Thanks,
    Richard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Richard,

My only hope is that you visit each place that you mention in your phd. One of my hobbies is to photograph early Christian places. If you write about a place like Skellig Michael without visiting them you will be doing yourself a grievous sin! :D
    I didn't know for instance that there is no running water source on Skellig. I went out there a couple of Octobers gone, the boats hadn't tried for a couple of days because of bad weather. Can you imagine what it must have been like in the 6th century.
    The second thing is; speak to the locals. They will provide you with more important stories and views then a library of academic titles.
    I hope you enjoy the phd, if you think I can of any help just pm me as posting here sometimes attracts trolls!

I just remembered a couple of wells I stumbled past on Cape Clear and Sherkin Island. There's two places that could fill an entire phd. Wonderful islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PilgrimageIE

Hey! Thanks for the reply! And, yes, visiting the places and talking to the locals are the cornerstone of my research!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Sometime in the 1500's or 1600's, there used to be a statue of Mary in Trim, in whats now known as "The Yellow Steeple". The yellow steeple was part of an abbey, and people used to go on pilgrimage to see this statue, Our Lady Of Trim, in the hope of getting a miracle or cure. I dont know if there was a vision or miracle associated with the place. But then Cromwell came and blew up the abbey, and the only bit remaining is the bell tower, or "steeple". Its often shown as a backdrop on the RTE weather. I myself would be interesting to learn more about that particular pilgrimage. Have you ever heard of it OP? If not, there's one you can sink your teeth into!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PilgrimageIE

Thanks for the information. I hadn't heard of it before.

Advertisement