Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hse and permanency ?????

Options
  • 22-01-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone. I have a question that I really hope someone could help me with! I am a nurse working in the HSE in Cork for the last two years. Before I moved down to Cork I worked in the HSE Dublin. My question is that would my year in Dublin count towards my three years for permanency. I have heard conflicitng views but I thought the HSE was one regardless of which county you work in????

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

In my own profession they changed it from 3 to 4 years service before permanency? And they had to be continuous service (a contract ending on the 25th and next one starting on the 27th would break this). Also the contracts could not be specified purpose (I.e. maternity cover etc). And then if a particular department/sub department was given in a contract and a seperate department was named in the next it was another break. They have used all kinds of "tricks" to get out of this rule.
    If I were you I would make copies of every contract. If there was any break between them but you worked away anyway, get copies of the rosters etc to proove that. Then make sure you're a member of a union and if HR say no go to your shop steward. Document everything said about it including dates and times. Even better communicate through email if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

As far as I know, employment laws state you have to be 4 years on fixed term contracts, and the next contract you sign after having been on fixed term contracts for 4 years must be a contract of indefinite duration. Breaks in contracts are allowed as long as they are less then 3 months (think this was to stop the old practice of ending someones contract on a Friday and starting a new one on a Monday). Check up the citizens information website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/fixed_term_or_specified_purpose_contracts.html for more information on contracts etc. The 3 year rule for being made permanent no longer applies (it was changed back in 2003). As for HSE Dublin and Cork being the same employer, I'm not so sure about that. Personally I don't think they are, if you had moved to a different hospital within the HSE Dublin region then I think they would be considered the same employer but a different HSE region would be considered a new employer. Thats just my opinion, you should get on to the HR department in your hospital to clarify that, though even if they do count your year in Dublin, you're still a year short of being made permanent so you might be better to leave it until you're nearer your 4 years service

Advertisement