Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOTS

Options
  • 22-01-2013 10:13am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who is playing on the Beta already?

Who is excited about the look of HOTS so far?

Who can't be arsed?

Clans and Groups; will these change the way you play?

I haven't tried the Beta myself but am looking forward to the new dynamics of the game. Granted the new Protoss/Zerg units may just knock me back a league until I get used to them.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I only want it for the campaign. Never really been bothered with the multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I have the beta. They continue to make balance changes and I will defintely get it when HOTS release but I have to be honest and say that I'm bitterly disappointed in the direction they have gone regarding multiplayer. I'm sure the campaign will be fun and I'll play it but the multiplayer which is the meat and drink of the game.

The game may have a few new units but it plays the exact same at it's core. Terran is still mostly Marine micro, Toss is still mostly deathball and Zerg is still mostly depressing. Yeh they nerfed infestor and vortex so you don't see the same unit composition like broodlord versues mothership but 90% of the race operates the same way.

I wanted the game to feel different, to play differently. And it just doesn't. If you watch most of the HOTS replays on youtube, they pan out the same way. Most replays dont even have any of the new units in them. And the ones that do still look the same.

Maybe I expected too much but I was hoping for big changes instead of little ones. Radical design changes, not just new units.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, not all that excited about hots

more excited about seeing what kespa players do with hots, then getting excited about hots

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

All valid points. While Blizzard tout this as a new game, I see it more as an extended expansion pack. It will still be pretty much the same core game (which suits me fine)

Will the clans/groups option change how you play the game or interact with the system. Personally I will remain just a casual ladder player. Can't see me joining a clan, and at least ladder games maker me worry about losing....

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GosuIrish

played a fair bit of it mainly as protoss i like that way it seems to reward faster players more and people who use more hotkeys , hots made me redo most my setup just to be able control all the units correctly but the last patch changes for the mcore and oracle was kinda disappointing me and terran is just the same , main problem i have with it right now is that its very laggy and makes it hard to play had to go back to Wings for now because of the delay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

Played the beta at the start but havent played it in a few months, since before the nice zerg gui change. Have pre ordered the digital deluxe to get the cool looking Ultralisk. My hope is that Abomb will stick with his creative playstyle and represent at tournaments, maybe even Korea :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

On the beta. Enjoying it so far, watching shows like Day9 for the strats on how to use the new units.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hellbats are really damn good. Would like another mech unit but i'm happy enough with the beta.

Still playing WoL because thats still the best way to improve mechanics as in HotS you see all kinds of crazy stuff, in High Plat anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

Miles better than Wings of Liberty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Only noticed I had beta invite yesterday. Its given a new lease of life to the game for me.

Have any interesting build orders emerged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭murphzor

Grimebox wrote: »
    Only noticed I had beta invite yesterday. Its given a new lease of life to the game for me.

Have any interesting build orders emerged?

Go standard Reactor hellion opening
    Make 4 hellions and add 2nd gas
    Make Starport
    Make Medivac
    Rally Hellions across map to be picked up
    Start Armoury when Medivac is 2/3 complete
    Speedbost Medivac across the map to the hellions
    Morph Hellions to hellbats
    Drop in mineral line
    Kill 25 workers

Care to elaborate on the reactor hellion opening? I don't play terran 1v1.

Actually how exactly do you do it? My build is very wonky

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Bessarion

Care to elaborate on the reactor hellion opening? I don't play terran 1v1.

Actually how exactly do you do it? My build is very wonky

Not 100% but pretty much depot-rax-gas-(2xmarines)-reactor-factory-switch buildings-2x helion. Marines are optional,but better to have them than need them.

From then.....-starport-2 more helions-medevac-2xhelions-elevator into their base and kill workers.

Bessarion wrote: »
    Not 100% but pretty much depot-rax-gas-(2xmarines)-reactor-factory-switch buildings-2x helion. Marines are optional,but better to have them than need them.

From then.....-starport-2 more helions-medevac-2xhelions-elevator into their base and kill workers.

That's pretty much what I have been doing. I assume armoury goes after starport? 2nd gas?

terran doesnt have build orders

you just throw down whatever random buildings you want as decorations and then make marines

Oh **** GSL!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

MFF2DP-XMV7-KXKJTY-EX9W-ZH6GXT

Fastest fingers first.

Just watching a TvT on this stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/MLGSC2

Hellbat drop rush VS hellbat drop rush. Ridiculous. Its so broken.

hellbats are unbelievably retarded in their current form

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

I'll chance it

Anyone got a spare beta key? I would very much appreciate it

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GosuIrish

Stingerbar wrote: »
    I'll chance it

Anyone got a spare beta key? I would very much appreciate it

thanks

pre-order on gamestop online and they will give you a key and depending on what card you use they wont charge you and you can just cancel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

GosuIrish wrote: »
    pre-order on gamestop online and they will give you a key and depending on what card you use they wont charge you and you can just cancel

Or Amazon.com, just cancel the order as soon as have key, works a charm.

I hadn't played for a few weeks and suddenly my imba hellbat drop is completely turned on its head, and rightfully so. They added a grand total of three nerfs in during my hiatus. Needless to say I lost that game.

How are people doing? I'm currently 1v1 silver trying to switch to terran, regularly floating 1k mins and getting supplied blocked. Platinum in protoss 2v2. The matchmaking is fairly poor in 2v2 probably due to the lack of players. Rarely are the games even. My teammate in my last game sat on one base and built nothing but widow mines

........The matchmaking is fairly poor in 2v2 probably due to the lack of players. Rarely are the games even. My teammate in my last game sat on one base and built nothing but widow mines
    Probably been working quite well for him over the last few weeks...;)

What's the thor's secondary firing ability do? I only found out it existed last night. It seems to be a non-splash alternative to the AA missiles. Why would you ever use that?

Has anyone used muta regen effectively? I have barely noticed the difference although it is quite significant, health regeneration rate increased from .2734 to 1. What is this metric? 1 what per what?

What's the thor's secondary firing ability do? I only found out it existed last night. It seems to be a non-splash alternative to the AA missiles. Why would you ever use that?.......

Its a single target high damage attack. I assume to counter tempests, BCs and broodlords. (with support to kill broodlings I assume)

Advertisement