Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get started

Options
  • 22-01-2013 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am not Irish, which is why I am a little confused about how to get started.
    I would like to learn to ride a motorcycle and get a license etc (my resolution for 2013 ;) ). What's the quickest and most cost effective way of getting started?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

If you have an Irish rsi number, no prob.
    Book Theory test. (get cd to prepare for it)
    Pass the theory test and go to Motor tax office with pass cert,2 passport pics, and apply for learner permit for Motorbike.
    If you are over 24, get Category A, if between 18 and 24, get Category A2.
    Then do training (IBT)
    After that, get a bike,tax, insurance, bike gear, and off you go on your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

Hi,

thanks for the information you two :)
    That helped a lot to clear up my confusion...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have an Irish rsi number, no prob.
    Book Theory test. (get cd to prepare for it)
    Pass the theory test and go to Motor tax office with pass cert,2 passport pics, and apply for learner permit for Motorbike.
    If you are over 24, get Category A, if between 18 and 24, get Category A2.
    Then do training (IBT)
    After that, get a bike,tax, insurance, bike gear, and off you go on your bike.

IBT is just the basics, you need more professional training after that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Del2005 wrote: »
    IBT is just the basics, you need more professional training after that.

Agreed, but the question was : How to get started.
    ( Cant put the cart before the horse.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Agreed, but the question was : How to get started.
    ( Cant put the cart before the horse.)

Proper training should be considered from the start, so it can be budgeted for. Initial Basic Training is a good start, but as it's name says it's only basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

Hi everyone,

I am not Irish, which is why I am a little confused about how to get started.
    I would like to learn to ride a motorcycle and get a license etc (my resolution for 2013 ;) ). What's the quickest and most cost effective way of getting started?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/beginner-info/

Everything you need to know is in that page - did my IBT course with them as well - really good guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭GermanicGalore

Great! Thanks a lot TTDublin!

Advertisement