Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski school in St Anton

Options
  • 21-01-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hiya, Im going skiing in St Anton from the 14th - 17th Feb and am a complete novice. I am going with a few lads who have been going for the last number of years and who wont need lessons.

I was thinking of getting private lessons but was wondering if anyone was in the same position and would be looking to split the cost of a private lesson or two over these dates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

Maybe it might be more productive if you sent the message out on the plane over or in the pub on the first night.
    Of course there will be others but no one wants to waste a private lesson waiting for some snow-plougher to tear his way down the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just back from St Anton, one person in the group was in private lessons, one was in ski school. Both got on well, but the private is ridic expensive. And if you can’t afford to pay for the whole day, you’ll be stuck on the baby slopes and button lifts. I’d recommend going for full day ski school. The classes aren’t usually that big and people often only do a few days. One of the lads did it for 3 days, and there were only 6 in his class. He loved it.

sensible response in my opinion

Just realised that you're a total novice! Yes, I'd defo go ski school for full 5 days. Private for the equivalent length of time will be about €1500. And the slopes in St Anton really aren't for beginners.

wouldnt agree with that.
    plenty easy blue runs to occupy the mind of a beginner for a full week
    go back when you can ski 'properly' tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

J1WoodyGet up to the Skiclub of Ireland and book into the 1 Day beginner this Sat or the weekend after and you will be at least on a roll and you can book lessons for one or two days instead of the week.

St Anton is a serious closed shop and there is only one ski school so at least you dont have to pick:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 j1woody

Thanks very much for the reply. Have people used the Ski Club that Fattes has mentioned and is this a good way to go considering I have no experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

As long as you havent booked a "Total Beginner Package" with a tour operator then going to Kilternan is ok. Our friends booked a Beginner package to Westendorf last year with Crystal, they did a few lessons in Kilternan (which they enjoyed), arrived in Westendorf and went to collect their ski's etc, the guy in the shop started to explain to them how to put ski boots on to which they replied that they knew how to clip them up and suddenly he said "oh you've skied before" so they said no, only a few lessons on an artificial surface but they were having none of it, they said to get the cheap package you must never have been on ski's before and they ended up having to fork out another 400 euros between them. So, as long as you havent booked this type of package, Kilternan or the ski centre in Sandyford could well be worth a visit for you.

j1woody wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply. Have people used the Ski Club that Fattes has mentioned and is this a good way to go considering I have no experience?

Yep Kiltiernan is well worth it. Even to know how to put your boots on, carry your skis etc. It's all very helpful. Getting onto snow is a little bit of a shock (it's much slipper!) but you'll be ahead of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Èven if you have booked the beginner classes stay quiet and drive on your best. We done the dry slopes a few years ago and got beginner lessons out there. While you get the basics on the dry slope its far removed from snow and you will be a day getting to grips with it after that you will be fine and you should be ahead of all the absolute beginners. With all the children I practice with them after classes for a hour it definitely helps and should get you in more advanced classes by the end of the week. The main thing with the beginner classes is that the fee is based on not needing a ski pass the first day or two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement