Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating For Shy People in UCD

Options
  • 21-01-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

First day of semester 2 and happy to be back.

As you can tell from my name I'm a bit of a shy person. As I walked around the campus today and going from lecture to lecture I notice the people around me, and wonder if any of them feel a bit shy like myself.

I see different groups of people, mixed, couples and then the odd single person. And although they are all busy, making their way, I wonder if some might feel that invisible barrier, that a shy person can feel, that keeps from fully engaging in the way they would most like to with others.

To me it might feel like a barrier, to another it might feel like a huge gap between themselves and the other person and they haven't quite got the bravery to make the leap.

Because of that difficultly I'm thinking, Dating For Shy People in UCD.

I'm developing a format at the moment. Basically not really sure how to pull it off, however, if this sounds interesting to you, send me a pm and we can talk about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Join a society or club that your interested in, and actually go to their events, you'll soon make friends that will hopefully turn into something more.

Alternatively, go to course nights out, and get the shift that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Nice idea op, you could be onto something there. No offence jaffa, I don't think you get the point of it though

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

Were you thinking of forming a society or holding events or what would you be doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I think it could be a great idea OP; it's hard enough for some people to meet friends in UCD, never mind boy/girlfriends.

Are you a member of any clubs/societies? It might be easier to ask one of them to help you organise an event (or whatever you wanted to do) than doing it all by yourself.

If you didn't want to do something with societies, you could try generate interest among your friends and the people in your course first. Use Facebook, Twitter etc. to get whatever you organise onto people's radars.

I think it's a good idea, but at the same time I'd be hesitant to join anything specifically related to dating. I'd kinda feel as if any guy I might talk to would instantly assume I'd an agenda.

• Advertisement

Huckster wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea, but at the same time I'd be hesitant to join anything specifically related to dating. I'd kinda feel as if any guy I might talk to would instantly assume I'd an agenda.

Any guy at a dating event will probably have the same agenda though :)

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Any guy at a dating event will probably have the same agenda though :)

Yeah, but doesn't that make it a bit uncomfortable? I think the best event I went to so far was a bowling night- it was really laid back, plenty time to chat with people and mill around and just no pressure to sit beside the same person all night since everyone kept getting up to take their turn. A dating specific event would be a bit full-on for my liking.

Huckster wrote: »
    Yeah, but doesn't that make it a bit uncomfortable? I think the best event I went to so far was a bowling night- it was really laid back, plenty time to chat with people and mill around and just no pressure to sit beside the same person all night since everyone kept getting up to take their turn. A dating specific event would be a bit full-on for my liking.

That's fair enough; I'd imagine that the OP is probably looking to organise something like what you've mentioned, a bowling night or something (although I could be wrong). It doesn't have to be pressurised, just an evening out bowling or whatever, for single people. You can chat away to other people who are single, away from the usual nightclub scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Maybe you could tell us what you had in mind op?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ShyGuyUCD

tgdaly wrote: »
    Maybe you could tell us what you had in mind op?

I think I'd rather keep the details for people who pm me, so pm.

For everybody else watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IShrytb1UZE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

sound like a slick idea op, i don't mind opening my apartment to an orgy for ucd swingers soc... ;) ....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Actually an extremely good idea. I'd love to see some sort of parallel freshers for people who are slightly more intimidated by the whole experience of arrival. I actually think freshers is a scary sight for the shyer amongst us, so a shy society or something might be a great idea!

Maybe we could have a masked gathering.

Like something from the film Eyes Wide Shut (but without the orgy, sorry brownlad).

If you're unfamiliar with the film this is a clip below

Do Irish Universities use "semester" now? Back in my days the word was "term" and semester was an americanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

DrDonkey wrote: »
    Do Irish Universities use "semester" now? Back in my days the word was "term" and semester was an americanism.
    Grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

They've started letting in Catholics and women too! What's the world coming to.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

try this site pof.com. Plenty of ucd birds on it. also its too easy to pull birds on it! It took me 57 mins to get the number of a 26 year old dancer. meeting up tmoro lol. also its FREEE

brownlad wrote: »
    try this site pof.com. Plenty of ucd birds on it. also its too easy to pull birds on it! It took me 57 mins to get the number of a 26 year old dancer. meeting up tmoro lol. also its FREEE

Can I wing you?

Advertisement