Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Medical Card and USC query

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi there,

I filled out the online medical card application in November last year, but forgot to send it off until last week.(Don't ask, mix up between two people!).

Based on the online medical card application I am entitled to the Full medical card.

What I'm wondering is, when does that apply from? Is it from the date the online application is made, or from the date its submitted by paper, or the date its rubber stamped? The reason I ask is that having the Medical Card applicable from last November will mean a USC refund of about 400 for last year, so as you see, the timing is very important.

Thanks in advance for your help, I know its a tricky one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 owiseone

It depends what the start date of your medical card is. You can check this on www.medicalcard.ie - check card status by entering your medical card no. This gives the start date and end date of your card. If start date is sometime in 2012 you will be entitled to refund of USC paid in 2012. If its 2013 there will be no refund due for 2012. That's all the information Revenue use is the start and end date of card, not when you actually applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If you held a card at any stage in 2012, are you entitled to a refund for the entire year?

So if my Medical card expired in January 2012 for example, would I be entitled to a refund for USC paid from February to December?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

No. Only for the few weeks in January 2012, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

I have a full medical card, work part time and paid €200 in USC last year, can I get this refunded? I never heard of this but was wondering why since this year started I haven't paid anything in it!

You're not exempt, just that you'll pay at a slightly lower rate for everything earned over €10,036.

If you earned under €10,036 (gross) in 2012, you don't pay USC. You can apply to get this refunded via the Income levy refund form or request a P21 balancing statement for 2012.

Check your P60 or your final payslip in 2012 to find your total gross pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

I did earn under that, will fill it out thanks for your reply!

P21 balancing statement so is all you need, which only takes a few days to process. you can request one for 2012 by logging into PAYE anytime. :)

Advertisement