Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plantations of Ulster

Options
  • 21-01-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

I know there were two kinds of planters, Anglicans and Presbyterians. Im interested in finding out more about them. Anglicans were from England and Presbyterians from Scotland. Im interested if there are more people descended from England in Derry for example. Or Ulster protestants with English heritage in Fermanagh for example? I know the border reivers were banished to Fermanagh.

But im interested if the protestants in certain areas are descended from Anglican English stock and other areas more Scottish.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I know there were two kinds of planters, Anglicans and Presbyterians. Im interested in finding out more about them. Anglicans were from England and Presbyterians from Scotland. Im interested if there are more people descended from England in Derry for example. Or Ulster protestants with English heritage in Fermanagh for example? I know the border reivers were banished to Fermanagh.

But im interested if the protestants in certain areas are descended from Anglican English stock and other areas more Scottish.

Well the northern most coast is associated with Scots. I am not sure if it is disproportionately less English though. From what I know there are good records on the planter's origin. I recall Fergal Keane's history of Ireland series running over the demographics of the Derry plantation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sorry to be off topic but would many catholics have come over during the plantation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Ipso wrote: »
    Sorry to be off topic but would many catholics have come over during the plantation?

Catholics came intermittently from Scotland to Ulster as redshanks mercenaries to work for the native population prior to the plantations. They were not part of the plantation. From what I understand none of the Ulster planters were catholic

robp wrote: »

Catholics came intermittently from Scotland to Ulster as redshanks mercenaries to work for the native population prior to the plantations. They were not part of the plantation. From what I understand none of the Ulster planters were catholic

From what I understand some of the redshanks assimilated into the planters while others stayed with the Irish population; Campbell is a name assiciated with them.
    I ask as my male lineage came from Scotland about 400 or 500 years ago and given my religion and what I know of the family history a plantation background doesn't make sense unless they converted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Ulster 1641, edited by Brian Mac Cuarta has a superb account of this aspect. I forget who wrote it - Hilary Simms' article on indebtedness between native and newcomer stands out for me in that collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Here's a link to a useful map which shows where the various groups were settled: http://www.mccaskie.org.uk/images/settlement-map.jpg

With regard to Catholics being planted, there were quite a few Irish catholics who were re-settled (perhaps a better term in this context than planted?) into various areas including north Dongeal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Ipso wrote: »

It was expressly stated in the rules of the plantation of Ulster that there were to be no Catholic planters. It was a 'Protestant' plantation which was to further secure the English control in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Interesting responses. Where did the name red shanks come from?

Interesting responses. Where did the name red shanks come from?

From what I can gather it was because they wore kilts and were bare legged even in cold conditions.
    Here is a blog that you might fond interesting.
    http://theredshank.blogspot.com/?m=1

Advertisement