Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutritional Supplements-Advice Please

Options
  • 21-01-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

hi Guys,
    I have looked through other posts on nutritional supplements and am still none the wiser really so I'm looking for advice and opinions.

Background: Female, 33, 5'5, 50kg's. Up until Sept last year I was mainly running and cycling but then took up swimming with triathlon in mind. I usually train most days. I eat quite healthily but I seem to find it difficult to eat enough and feel I may benefit from additional supplements. Despite eating well I recently seem to have lost weight :(.

So, what I'm wondering is: Should I take some sort of protein supplement or what would others recommend? I know I could probably try to eat more but I don't seem to have any spare time for eating.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your words of wisdom :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I find it hard enough to consume enough kcals for a day, or get busy days where my food schedule goes out the window, I tend to use this when I need extra kcals for a day or for some reason know I may miss a meal that day. I wouldn't go relying on it, but it can get you out of a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There's a Kinetica Oat based product that includes protein which may be an option for you in a pinch. 630kcal per serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Very roughly your BF% is in and around 10-11% no?

If you were a bloke I'd say keep going to 8% but as a woman that's definitely close to the safe limit.

I prescribe Haribo Tangtastic.

(or really just bring high calorie food on the go, protein/energy bars, peanut butter, almond butter)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Thanks guys,

Its really mind boggling stuff(or maybe that's just me!). I think I'm more afraid that I'm lacking in something and one day my body will give up.

Tunney, I must say your prescription of the Haribo Tangtastics is my favourite :D I do certainly have a sweet tooth and they are much more economical!!

I guess it's just a try em and see situation now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Flapjack bars are also very handy to have if you are on the go, easy to source reasonably cheap usually under e1.50, fill you uo as well some are high calorie but depends on what one you go for,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Ceepo wrote: »
    Flapjack bars are also very handy to have if you are on the go, easy to source reasonably cheap usually under e1.50, fill you uo as well some are high calorie but depends on what one you go for,

Thanks Ceepo,
    I had been good for making flapjacks for a while. Maybe its time to get back into it, or just buy them!

Advertisement