Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training with power

Options
  • 21-01-2013 3:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

I'm picking up a PM this week and was wondering about getting set up. I have trained with HR up until this. I know that I will have to initially do a test to find my FTP. Is it a case then of training in a % zone like HR.?
    I am using an turbo trainer plan that has CP figures so I'm alright for that, I'm more interested in the long 3hr+ spins and how to use it in those instances.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Rawhead wrote: »
    I'm picking up a PM this week and was wondering about getting set up. I have trained with HR up until this. I know that I will have to initially do a test to find my FTP. Is it a case then of training in a % zone like HR.?
    I am using an turbo trainer plan that has CP figures so I'm alright for that, I'm more interested in the long 3hr+ spins and how to use it in those instances.
    Thanks for any help.

Fwiw:

- long 3 hr spins - use rpe and base as aerobic ride in hr z1-3 unless adding some work in as part.
    - yes to improve FTP you need to train in different %'s of FTP. Problem is knowing how much of x and which % you need most work etc. example I started out on lower than FTP for quite a while until depth was improved.
    It's all a learning curve but apply the have I sweat a shed load in my hour or so of turbo rule and if not you're not working hard enough.

I can't help you here, a book may do, a coach should do, but it may be more practical and fun to learn as you go and with a book - training and racing with a power meter is the most popular.

There are lots of online experiences also - slowtwitch has a number of proven improvements via doing 2-3 regular power turbos etc.

Hr really doesn't reflect power accurately and certainly not for short periods so prepare to be amazed by a new set of numbers to analyse :-)

Advertisement