Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get UK citizenship advice in NI?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but the last few weeks had been pretty infuriating so I'm grasping at straws here. -_-

I'm a EU national living in Belfast and in light of recent news with UK considering separation from the EU and stuff, I would like to apply for British citizenship, but I am not entirely sure if I have sufficient proof of residency and I'd like to get some advice from someone qualified on this.

I tried contacting the local passport office, the citizens advice bureau, the law office linked to citizen's advice - all to no avail. The UK border agency no longer has a phone line for inquiries on citizenship, only their website. I could try getting private legal help, but I'm not exactly swimming in cash so that's really the absolute last resort.

Surely there must be some kind of a public office that I could speak to?

If this is relevant, I lived here since 2004, however I had a lot of lengthy gaps in employment and stuff (I moved here with my family and spent a lot of time studying from home while taking care of my grandparents). So, I am unsure if I fulfil the residency requirements, and if not, I'd like to know what I could do to improve my chances of getting citizenship in the next year or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Read up here on Border Agencys website for citizenship:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/

Is the fear of UK leaving EU your main reason for this? if so, don't worry and forget about it! It'll be years away before there would be a referendum on such, and well even longer for the withdrawal to be completed if it were to happen at all.
    Presumably you can navigate your way around Belfast? If so could you visit the Border Agencys Belfast office?( Drumkeen House, 1 Drumkeen Complex, Upper Galwally, Belfast BT8 6TB) and they would be able to talk you through your options? can't spot a telephone number, but drop down and if someone can't speak with you then and there I presume you'll get an appointment. linky:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/contact/applyinginperson/peos/

Hope that helps.:)

Advertisement