Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue screen help

Options
  • 21-01-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My laptop running windows 7 has started to blue screen whenever I log in. On safemode it is ok. As far as I remember the cumpoter had to run a desk check on startup the other day and delete some bad files, I was using the computer fine then for the day. I shut it off and then went to turn or back on at night and then the problem started.

The bsod says registery error I tried running ccleaner to see if that helped but it didn't.

I am in the middle of finishing my thesis and while I have most important things backed up on dropbox I can't go without my laptop for too long I was wondering if any one could help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

use a system restore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I can't seem to find a restore point, I Know I must have one somewhere from a windows update but I used to do a full backup and set restore once a month and since I started traveling a few months ago I haven't had the chance, tried running it a few weeks ago and after 12 hours it was still running.

try to use system file checker.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
    if you have a disk you could also use recovery/repair

Running that now, will post back with results thanks.

Running that now, will post back with results thanks.
    Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations

• Advertisement

could be a driver issue, if safe mode is grand.
    do you have a windows disc? boot from and run repair/recovery

I don't have a windows disk here but I might have one in the box at home. I'm flying back to Dublin in the morning and I will have a look, pretty sure I have HP recovery disks I made myself with the softwarethat came with it when I bought the laptop but not a windows disk itself

I have a recovery partition I forgot to mention might try figure out how to run from that.

Ok I rebooted in the recovery mode using the recovery partition by pressing F8 and ran a system recovery. That fixed it it seems. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Is there anything you recommend I do now to make sure it is ok from here?

not really, whatever happened to caused the disk check to run, maybe a bad power down or dodgy install of some hardware? well whatever it was probably caused the issue.

Advertisement