Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Audio Interface upgrade...

Options
  • 21-01-2013 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an edirol UA-25 for over 8 years now. It has been fine for recording purposes.

I'm hopefully moving abroad this year, so will sell off this gear.

Therefore. Wherever I go, I'll be looking to buy a new audio interface.

Any suggestions? I've not really been researching this area for a while, because I didn't have to. Again, it would just be for decent quality house demos as opposed to anything else. I'd combine it with a decent mic.

I would more than likely use plugins for guitars too.

I have been using the edirol on a PC. So, not sure if I would go down the road of an ipad/irig/garageband set up in the future. I'd probably stick with the basic set up, but am open to suggestions.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

rme fireface 400, trust me you will be blown away by the difference compared to that crap your using! no offence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

oops don't think its usb apart from the ufx which is 2k! i have no other suggestions around this budget level, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

shed head wrote: »
    rme fireface 400, trust me you will be blown away by the difference compared to that crap your using! no offence

$1,699.00 :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Focusrite Forte / usb / very low latency

Gah, wasn't expecting that much $$$$, but I suppose I asked, and you answered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

How many inputs and outputs do you require?

Basic set up. Just the one really. I've only really recorded one thing at a time, even though the edirol has 2 inputs

I'd probably recommend the Apogee Duet then, i've seen them go 2nd hand for reasonable money (i think 2-300 hundred euros) and it should cover your needs. There's also the Apogee One which is cheaper but doesn't cover higher sample rates.

I haven't used them, I'm a Fireface man myself but the Apogee stuff is well respected. I'd check the reviews on these if I were you.

Great stuff. Something basic but decent quality is what will do me. It won't be used for anything more than bedroom recordings, but I'd like to make decent quality ones, or as good as I can make it.

I know mics and mic technique comes into play too...

seachto7 wrote: »
    Great stuff. Something basic but decent quality is what will do me. It won't be used for anything more than bedroom recordings, but I'd like to make decent quality ones, or as good as I can make it.

I know mics and mic technique comes into play too...

And preamps, room acoustics and the instruments you're using and the thing that always lets me down.... Talent :(

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I forgot to add all the rest of it. But just taking into account a basic, basic set up though.

I have decent instruments, and can play! ;)

Yeah, if I could buy talent, it would be great......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

For something so small and cheap, surely it makes more sense to stick it in with the rest of your luggage? Or ship over a box if stuff via courier?

Advertisement