Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atari files for bankruptcy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Shame to see them go, i thought they were making a comeback one stage a few years ago too :/

That logo though,

Iconic-Publisher-Atari-Files-for-Bankruptcy-2.jpg?1358764000

some awesome memories of the 2600 :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Problem is they had no big IPs for years now, nothing noteworthy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

It was inevitable though with the likes of Playstation, x-box and Nintendo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

A sad day, but the company lasted about 2o years longer then i expected....:eek:

Atari was *the* games console in the early 80s...:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Iconic-Publisher-Atari-Files-for-Bankruptcy-322754.shtml

Wasn't a patch on the Amiga though from the late 80s...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

he two greats of the 80's Commodore and Atari

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

A sad day, but the company lasted about 2o years longer then i expected....:eek:

Atari was *the* games console in the early 80s...it was the forerunner of your Sega's and Nintendo's and your modern XBOX and PS3:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Iconic-Publisher-Atari-Files-for-Bankruptcy-322754.shtml

Well, they're not gone just yet.
    It looks like they're trying to separate the US company from it's parent company, so I think they're trying to structure the whole deal to keep Atari US basically as-is, but with a new owner.
    one of the most iconic video game companies and the owner of hit classics like Pong, Asteroids, or the Tycoon franchises, has just filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in order to emerge as a new entity separated from its current owner – Atari S.A., a company formerly known as Infogrames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DPayneZero

That's pretty sad news imo. Lots of fond memories with Atari :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shame to see them go, i thought they were making a comeback one stage a few years ago too :/

That logo though,

Iconic-Publisher-Atari-Files-for-Bankruptcy-2.jpg?1358764000

some awesome memories of the 2600 :)
    Good logo design.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Very sad, still have my 2600 with the wooden panel classic in the press here, power cable needs replacing but other than that it still works perfectly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This isn't the Atari that made all the classic arcade, home consoles and home computers and games. Those Atari divisions have been dead for years. This Atari is the rebranded publisher Infogrames who just bought the rights to the name (I don't think they even bought the IP rights to their catalogue). It's sad to see another publisher go, especially one that brought us Ikaruga in Europe but I can't think of an Atari published game in the last 5 yeas so was inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was going to say, Atari have gone through this a couple of times over the last decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well, they're not gone just yet.
    It looks like they're trying to separate the US company from it's parent company, so I think they're trying to structure the whole deal to keep Atari US basically as-is, but with a new owner.
    This.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US is a very different thing than regular bankruptcy over here. I like to think of it as corporate restructuring with a pickaxe rather than the sign of a company going under.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This isn't the Atari that made all the classic arcade, home consoles and home computers and games. Those Atari divisions have been dead for years. This Atari is the rebranded publisher Infogrames who just bought the rights to the name (I don't think they even bought the IP rights to their catalogue). It's sad to see another publisher go, especially one that brought us Ikaruga in Europe but I can't think of an Atari published game in the last 5 yeas so was inevitable.

Aye, the only ones I can think of were Ghostbusters and The Witcher really. They also published The Witcher 2 but only in the US so prolific they were certainly not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Interesting times ahead with regards to theirs and THQs IPs.

Interesting times ahead with regards to theirs and THQs IPs.
    In terms of dormant IP annoying me, Battlezone is second only to System Shock so hopefully someone picks it up and gives us something more than some bull**** social game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

They published The Witcher and The Witcher 2 on the PC . A few others as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

And I suspect it will just be a matter of time before the name is bought again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I thought I'd read they were declared bankrupt some time ago. At the very least, they were having severe problems quite a while back. This is going back to when Phil Harrison joined/left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Indeed, and even before that, the Atari brand has been kicked about like no one's business over the last couple of decades, and it'll be sold on again, no doubt, and it'll be just as much Atari as the one that's going out of business.

So the last of the IP sell off has happened and as the internet loses its collective **** over Wargaming getting the TA IP on top of their recent acquistion of Gas Powered Games, I'll be shedding a quiet tear for my beloved Battlezone going to bloody Rebellion. :(

k-bigpic.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope it means we get Battlezone and Star Control on GoG or Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbiE4Kg7gxEdwyA7h37oI01uK-KgxMK8OPCy5gtujr1DIcAuNKzA

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GoldenCalf

Sad I was too young to experiance an Atari back in the day.
    It's sad to see another publisher go, especially one that brought us Ikaruga in Europe but I can't think of an Atari published game in the last 5 yeas so was inevitable.

Kitten Blade on XBLA. It was the epitome of a mediocre platform game.
    Oh, and those this mean "Atari Jaguar" can't be used as a poll option anymore?

Advertisement