Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardman 2013?

Options
  • 21-01-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Looks like people who've done this in the past enjoyed it, subject to the sort of organizational suggestions that would arise from a small event. Anyone here thinking about doing it this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've done the first two years of this event and it was a great race. It ain't no European IM but the organisers are open to input and are sound, the course is fantastic and the atmosphere for such a small race was great, especially in 2012. Value wise it can't be beat with cheap entry and a surprisingly well stocked bike and run route. Some bits are a bit basic e.g. transition and the changing facilities, but it all adds to the fun. My race reports from the last two years will show how much I enjoyed them :)

I've promised myself and my wife no IM this year after an IM in each if the last three years..........BUT..........if I were to do another IM in 2013 it would probably be this one. You can't beat a weekend in Kerry with the kids :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was looking at doing the olympic last year. Killarney a long oul trek though.

Think Griff did it in 2011.

Edit: As long distance goes, this race would actually appeal to me more than a big Ironman or Challenge event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Stumbled on one of your reports griffin100, didn't realize you'd done it twice. Not even sure why I'm looking at it really... but whether you'd do the individual or relay still looks like it could have the makings of a good weekend. I'd like to do a smaller event sometime, think it makes for a nice alternative where things can be a bit more personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

The great thing for me about this race in 2012 was the simplicity of it all. Having been to see me at two previous IM's the wife declined to come see me plod around again with 4 kids in tow so I was on my lonesome. Drove to kerry on the Friday afternoon, stayed in a B&B on the Friday night, raced on the Saturday, stayed in the B&B Saturday night, drove home Sunday and was back by lunchtime. All at a fraction of the cost of when I did IM UK. In 2011 I combined it with a family holiday in Kerry when we stayed in Waterville for a week.

Feck, I'm starting to talk myself into doing this again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Did it last year also and loved it, It was my first IM so cant compare to any IM\Challange brand but very little complaints.
    I have been warned not to mention it again but I would love to go again, this year and you never know I may do a Griffin on it and do it with very little IM training

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Shhhh lads. I dont need to hear this kinda talk!

Oryx wrote: »
    Shhhh lads. I dont need to hear this kinda talk!

If you do the whole thing, I'll go do the run ;)

or swim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Might be on for boards relay..

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you do the whole thing, I'll go do the run ;)

or swim
    Next year we both do the whole thing?

Oryx wrote: »
    Next year we both do the whole thing?

Ummmmm....lets not go mad now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Plus one on everything above folks, there are a few little things that would be Irish style like the Registration in a doorway on Friday night, the race briefing and the pre race toilets on the trailer at the swim start, the mud bath in T2 and the EELS!!! :eek:

Seriously though as Griff and Benny have pointed out, it is a fantastic race in the one of best locations in the world. Alan and Michael the race organisers are fantastic to deal with and in fairness to Michael he guided me around the run course in the dark last year ensuring I didn't get lost.

Definitely do it lads if you are thinking about it, I can't for the threat of divorce but I will be back next year. (if I am allowed :D)

Advertisement