Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRAD MED IN UK NHS FUNDED?

Options
  • 20-01-2013 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey guys,

This is actually my first post so please bare with me

Finance wise would it be better to study medicine in the UK? I'm looking at the NHS bursaries page about funding for medical students, apparently they pay ~£3500 out of the £9000 for your 2nd/3nd/4th and depending on your situation your entitled living/travel allowances? If your an irish citizen what kind of help can be expected? What are your plans to financially support your self through med school? Do the majority of people just take out the whopper 100k loan once they're accepted? I've been working in pharma for a few months I'm on 40k a year and managed to save about 13k in the last few months so if I do manage to pass the gamsat first time Id probably have enough for 2 years tuition (In one of the 4 Irish unis) ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS WELCOMED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

DrSynth wrote: »
    Hey guys,

This is actually my first post so please bare with me

Finance wise would it be better to study medicine in the UK? I'm looking at the NHS bursaries page about funding for medical students, apparently they pay ~£3500 out of the £9000 for your 2nd/3nd/4th and depending on your situation your entitled living/travel allowances? If your an irish citizen what kind of help can be expected? What are your plans to financially support your self through med school? Do the majority of people just take out the whopper 100k loan once they're accepted? I've been working in pharma for a few months I'm on 40k a year and managed to save about 13k in the last few months so if I do manage to pass the gamsat first time Id probably have enough for 2 years tuition (In one of the 4 Irish unis) ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS WELCOMED

Most campus banks will offer a special loan to grad med students whereby you only have to pay interest for four years and then pay back once you begin earning money. These seem to be very popular. The vast majority of people decide not to work as the med workload is quite substantial so financial support there I imagine comes from savings or a "loan" from parents.

Advertisement