Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to papers & journals

Options
  • 19-01-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to do a lot of reading into TCC/UC for personal reasons. More than the usual patient information sites. I can find loads of articles on pubmed but as per usual very few are free to view ( eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23247822 ) . The hospital I work for doesn't have subscriptions to these journals. I'm out of college a few years so college access no longer works.
    Any suggestions or tips on how to get access?
    How do you find and access papers? A few places I have worked have used Athens, which I find annoying to use, probably because I don't know how to use it! My college just had a library website you logged into and they had an A to Z listing of e journals so all I had to do was find an interesting abstract in pubmed then find the link to the journal on the library website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well PubMed thankfully has filters these days to allow you to show fulltext only results, so that's a start.

You could also check out open access journals and online only journals, some of the online only journals have free fulltext.

Other than that most University libraries allow graduates to get a library car, you usually have to pay a fee for it (perhaps 100-200 Euro). So if you are living near your Uni that's perhaps an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Does your hospital library facilitate inter library loans?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

You could try emailing the author's for a copy of the pdf. This may be a pain if you want a lot of papers though and if they are not relatively recent publications. You could try CiteYouLike site, think people upload various papers there.

[MOD] Please don't suggest that people get copyright material by any way other than via subscription [/mod]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ReadCube have some joint initiative with Nature to get cheap access to papers - there are limitations however you can't print them etc

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2012/10/07/start-readcube-program-uses-itunes-payment-model-for-access-scientific-articles/1UopCX1qfEE3uO2UEzuM7L/story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Don't know if the work library does inter-library loans but as the research is for personal use I don't think it would be allowed…
    Don't live near my old college (UCC) but I have emailed them to ask about graduate access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

No off-site/electronic access to UCC graduates as it would violate some term of their license? Looks like friends still in education it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

I'm looking to do a lot of reading into TCC/UC for personal reasons. More than the usual patient information sites. I can find loads of articles on pubmed but as per usual very few are free to view ( eg http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23247822 ) . The hospital I work for doesn't have subscriptions to these journals. I'm out of college a few years so college access no longer works.
    Any suggestions or tips on how to get access?
    How do you find and access papers? A few places I have worked have used Athens, which I find annoying to use, probably because I don't know how to use it! My college just had a library website you logged into and they had an A to Z listing of e journals so all I had to do was find an interesting abstract in pubmed then find the link to the journal on the library website.

If you work in hospital then there will be electronic access to certain journals

In addition there is the HSE electronic library which you can sign up for online using your employee number which will also give you a related ATEHNS account allowing you access to a much large range of journals

Advertisement