Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze 17:30

Options
  • 19-01-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Chris Packham introduces a classic documentary from the BBC's archive, which takes a look at the worst winter of the 20th century in 1963.
    BBC2 Today 17:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Pangea wrote: »
    Chris Packham introduces a classic documentary from the BBC's archive, which takes a look at the worst winter of the 20th century in 1963.
    BBC2 Today 17:30

Waiting for the water to heat up for my bath. That'll do nicely to pass the time. Thanks Pangea!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

It's absolute pain/pleasure watching this! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

It's absolute pain/pleasure watching this! :p

It's awesome, but even this dedicated snow bunny wouldn't want that lot. Looks horriffic, would not fancy digging my house out.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Ice Yachting looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It's awesome, but even this dedicated snow bunny wouldn't want that lot. Looks horriffic, would not fancy digging my house out.

tut tut, every snow bunny should take pleasure in diggings ones way out of the snow, its just a test to your love of snow and you failed, besides look at them skating on the rivers, the digging would be worth it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Excellent archive documentary.
    Noticed a young Ridley Scott's name in the credits(set designer)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/Winterwatch_1963_The_Big_Freeze/

very interesting programme. but what was with the conditions then that caused the west country and south west to get the brunt of the snow/drifting and freeze. as well as the re-load. i would have thought the east of britian would have gotten the worst of it first????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Pangea wrote: »
    The worst winter of the 20th century in 1963.

But 1947 is way more famous...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

My granny told me about 1947 , said it was worse then 63, but then I suppose it depends where you are etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

My granny told me about 1947

Yep, started snowing in the middle of Feb and still white in May:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Yep, started snowing in the middle of Feb and still white in May:eek:

Thats unusually late too isnt it
    Most snow we normally see is Jan/early Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Indeed, I would say 1947 was probably worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Link above cant be watched from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

sorry uk server here in work!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Excellent archive documentary.
    Noticed a young Ridley Scott's name in the credits(set designer)
    Saw that myself and googled it but found nothing, was it really him? The documentary did have a creepy vibe to it alright :D
    davidsr20 wrote: »
    Link above cant be watched from Ireland?
    Google Expat shield or Expat shield alternatives, install it, switch it on, iPlayer away to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

BBC 2 23:55

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

thanks ardmacha, I'm watching it now.
    there was a big thaw on Jan 26th which I didn't know about, I always thought it was continuous cold. Of course I had to look up the chart for that date :o
    It looks like milder Atlantic air toppled over the high for a time.

Rrea00119630126.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watched it just now, I can't even imagine it being that damned cold for so long. Go away! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't think it was that bad over here, the stories about the winter of '47 are legendary but you don't hear much about '63.
    My father told me top English football clubs used to come over here and play League of Ireland clubs for much needed match practice so we obviously weren't that badly affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I don't think it was that bad over here, the stories about the winter of '47 are legendary but you don't hear much about '63.
    My father told me top English football clubs used to come over here and play League of Ireland clubs for much needed match practice so we obviously weren't that badly affected.

Hi Elmer,

I have to strongly disagree with you - your statement that the winter of 62/63 was not that bad in IRELAND is factually incorrect.

I direct you to the following post (excellent in my opinion) that Deep Easterly put online in December 2012 in respect of that epic winter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82356825

Some points of note:

- Christmas period 62-New Years Eve 62/63:heavy snow crippled the eastern part of the island with drifts of up to 15 feet recorded in higher parts of Wicklow and Wexford

- Further snowfalls in early January

- Mid Jan 1963: temps falls to -11oc/-12oC. Six foot drifts recorded in Cork & Waterford. Mullingar impassable due to heavy snowdrifts.

- Early Feb 1963: Blizzard conditions across the northern part of Ireland

- Further snow and freezing conditions throughout Ireland until early March.

Not that bad over here ? I beg to differ! :D

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maybe next year we'll get something like this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

derekon wrote: »
    Hi Elmer,

I have to strongly disagree with you - your statement that the winter of 62/63 was not that great in IRELAND is factually incorrect.

I direct you to the following post (excellent in my opinion) that Deep Easterly put online in December 2012 in respect of that epic winter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82356825

Some points of note:

- Christmas period 62-New Years Eve 62/63:heavy snow crippled the eastern part of the island with drifts of up to 15 feet recorded in higher parts of Wicklow and Wexford

- Further snowfalls in early January

- Mid Jan 1963: temps falls to -11oc/-12oC. Six foot drifts recorded in Cork & Waterford. Mullingar impassable due to heavy snowdrifts.

- Early Feb 1963: Blizzard conditions across the northern part of Ireland

- Further snow and freezing conditions throughout Ireland until early March.

Not that great over here ? I beg to differ! :D

D

Fixed this post.

I wonder was there a major stratospheric warming event that winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I wonder was there a major stratospheric warming event that winter?

I was expecting one but I did not see one happen at all :confused:

Advertisement