Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish College preferably in Donegal Gaeltacht

Options
  • 19-01-2013 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

My daughter is doing the Junior Cert next year. I want a recommendation for an Irish College in the Gaeltacht this summer.
    I want to her to learn a lot of Irish this summer. I would like a recommendation for an Irish college where they are strict about using Irish.
    I would prefer a college in Donegal, I was thinking maybe Gweedore or Aran More.
    I would also like a place that is fun, with lots of sports, preferably water sports.
    Please give me some recommendations & advice.
    Thank you in advance for your replies.

P.S. I know there are a lot of other Gaeltacht threads, but none of them give me the answers that I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Hi OP,

Trying to find a gaeltacht colásite that is lots of fun but also where your kid is going to learn Irish is like picking a needle out of a haystack.

Personally I only know of a couple (both in Galway) where they are strict enough that the student were actually speaking Irish all the time.

I can't recommend Colaiste Ui Chadhain enough having been there 4 times myself and thoroughly enjoyed myself each time and learnt lots of Irish.

Another which I have heard good things about (Irish wise) is Lurgan

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andodenis

Thank you, I'll keep them in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dmartin22196

i went to colaiste gael linn bun an inbhir in donegal myself just a few years ago. as it is run by gael linn the teachers and learning material is very good. it is the only reason i am doing honors for the leaving cert now because before i had 0 interest in irish. i would recommend it because of the really nice teachers, it is a reasonably small college so you know everyone there. all the bean an tis are really really nice aswell and i did not hear or have one complaint about it to be honest. i would recommend it. if you want anymore info just give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about Uisce Irish college up in Mayo. My 13 year old daughter wants to go there this summer so would appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

colmll wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about Uisce Irish college up in Mayo. My 13 year old daughter wants to go there this summer so would appreciate any feedback.

From what I've heard, activity wise it is amazing and probably one of the best. Irish wise, its not great. I have a friend who went there and he learnt practically no Irish as he spoke very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

I went to colaiste arranmore and have to say i really enjoyed it. There is a real community atmosphere in the place and by the time I left I had an appreciation for Irish that i never thought i would have. It is strict on Irish but more by encouraging you to use it, not putting the fear of god into you for not. As with everything, you get out if it what you put in. If you go there with no intention of learning or getting involved you wont learn anything. You probably wont last the three weeks there either. But if you go with an open mind and get involved you won't even notice how much your Irish is improving you'll be having so much fun. I had some of the best summers of my life on the island (its a stunningly beautiful place). Wish i was a bit younger and could go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 andodenis

I was thinking about Aranmore, but I didn't know much about it. I decided to go with Bun an Inbhir & applied a couple of days ago.

Advertisement