Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP... grants 2013/14

Options
  • 19-01-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi as I'm dotting the 'I's and crossing the 't's on the CAO application end of things I am now starting to look at the grants available. I probably have this in reverse order.

I'll be a mature student. (Fingers Crossed)

Can anyone tell me what the steps are in applying for grants and the dates by which this needs to be done nowadays??

I've definitely read somewhere that grant applications should be in by Feb 1st, I'm sure of it.... Have read so much now though I'm totally confused. I think I may have been reading some outdated information to add to the confusion.

I looked at studentfinances.ie and felt like I was reading a lengthy Terms & Conditions Software form that Zuccher-buck-man would be proud of in looking through one of the pdf's.

Has SUSI replaced the maintenance, fees, VEC, council etc etc grants that were available or are there still multiple grants to be applied for?

Does anyone know if savings would go against you in applying for these grants? I will have no income if/when I go back to college full-time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The CAO applications deadline is Feb 1st

Grant applications generally open in May or June or July and close on August 31st.

SUSI has replaced all the council stuff. You apply online and then send in forms to prove everything; e.g. birth cert, bills, school letters, bank statements

I don't think they assess savings

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Thought I'd post this here rather than start my own thread then, basically trying to figure out when the grant applications will open for 2013/2014.

Im trying to resolve a months-long headache I've gotten trying to sort myself out to go back to college this year, I've got a million different if,buts and variables flying through my head. I'm 23, been out of education 2 years, did a level 6 course, dropped out of a level 8 course 5 years ago, don't know whether to apply as mature student/CAO applicant, or whether I'll apply for free fees in first year without applying as a mature student (I doubt it).

Anyway I've applied to the course I want through the CAO, now I'm just wondering when SUSI will open up applications for 2013/14? All the info I can se eon their sites pertains to 2012/13. Or maybe I'm not looking in te right places.

Anyone help? Thanks a bunch.

edit: May or June, sorry I shoulda read the damn thread. Fingers crossed for me I wont have ot pay the 5k for first year, it would ruin me.

Advertisement