Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information about 'OAK LEAF' unit based out of Curragh

Options
  • 18-01-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about a special activities group based out of the Curragh in the years prior to the formation of the ARW.

My friend told me that it was known as 'OAK LEAF'

Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

I've included a pic of a 2009 An Cosantóir in which the author mentions the group.

?ui=2&ik=d5e3614597&view=att&th=13c4ed6b8c03f165&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1eb92c1441ae5a67_0.1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-2W0YRAYH_MvYo_BQLqz--&sadet=1358549365623&sads=VJHUi0GoOiw3kaxEq95CVjlOa9Y
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

Apologies for the size and orientation of the pic, didn't realise it would be thus and can't get the thing to turn up!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tekken

constantg wrote: »
    Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about a special activities group based out of the Curragh in the years prior to the formation of the ARW.

I've included a pic of a 2009 An Cosantóir in which the author mentions the group.

?ui=2&ik=d5e3614597&view=att&th=13c4ed6b8c03f165&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1eb92c1441ae5a67_0.1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-2W0YRAYH_MvYo_BQLqz--&sadet=1358549365623&sads=VJHUi0GoOiw3kaxEq95CVjlOa9Y

Oak leaf is the flash of the Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC) which is the curragh.

I would imagine that what you are referring to is the members of the defence forces that travelled to "ranger" School in the USA in the 60s/70s to undergo training. The founding fathers of the ARW so to speak.

These personal then returned and commenced training course thus leading to the formation of the ARW officially in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Tekken wrote: »

Oak leaf is the flash of the Defence Forces Training Centre (DFTC) which is the curragh.

I would imagine that what you are referring to is the members of the defence forces that travelled to "ranger" School in the USA in the 60s/70s to undergo training. The founding fathers of the ARW so to speak.

These personal then returned and commenced training course thus leading to the formation of the ARW officially in the 1980s.

according to the ancosantor oak leaf was before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Tekken

c-90 wrote: »

according to the ancosantor oak leaf was before them.

That's very interesting, have you a way to link the article or even a quick synopsis of the article would do.
    Would be nice to see and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Tekken wrote: »

That's very interesting, have you a way to link the article or even a quick synopsis of the article would do.
    Would be nice to see and read.

ill try get a pic up later or quote if i cant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I trained with an exer in the 80's whose previous service in the 70's included a stint with what he referred to as SAG, Special Assault Group, I think. He inferred this was a forerunner to the ARW.
    Maybe thats the same outfit as the OP reffers to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

It was the SAG my dad was one of the first people in it. in the late 70's and before the ARW was setup.

Also it primarily operated out of Cathal Brugha Barracks aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

the special acivities (or assault as I have also heard) did predate the arw, but as to their designation as oak leaf i just dont know, I do know a former SAG member and he was in the arw in the 80s and 90s after the sag and he never reffered to it as oak leaf.
    I would personally like to hear more aswell as i love to know the history of our army rather than every other army in thw world

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

constantg wrote: »
    Hi,

OAKLEAF was a heliborne platoon from 3 Inf Bn in the mid 70s. Itwas an army reserve. Deployed to provide support to operations such as the Herrema search, Bodenstown, searches of islands etc. Had some good fun and hairy moments with it. We developed our own operating procedures and tactics in conjunction with the Air Corps.. We usually used 3 helis for ops.

• Advertisement

Also it could refer to the curragh command flash as it was similar to the oak leaf.

The SAG nor the ARW were never called that even unoffically.

ajmull wrote: »
    OAKLEAF was a heliborne platoon from 3 Inf Bn in the mid 70s. Itwas an army reserve. Deployed to provide support to operations such as the Herrema search, Bodenstown, searches of islands etc. Had some good fun and hairy moments with it. We developed our own operating procedures and tactics in conjunction with the Air Corps.. We usually used 3 helis for ops.

Really as a member of my family who served from 1971 to 2008 in the 3rd BN never heard of this...
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Salvation wrote: »
    Also it could refer to the curragh command flash as it was similar to the oak leaf.

The SAG nor the ARW were never called that even unoffically.

Nothing to do with either. As I said it was from 3 Inf Bn (The Bloods).

Advertisement