Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track of the day

Options
  • 18-01-2013 11:41pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

I don't see a thread like this here? Is it ok to start one?!

One track (this rule tends to get broken in the electronic music forum :pac:) per day that stood out for whatever reason.

My first pick is a very regular listen and one that I absolutely love. Anytime I play it I have to turn the volume way up, a really incredible cover of a Joy Division track... I had this playing in the car this morning on the way to work, made an unpleasant drive in the lashing rain and wind somewhat more enjoyable!

Galaxie 500 - Ceremony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just because I was listening to Bat For Lashes latest album today and this one was the standout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Rule broken already, couldn't last another hour, eh? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Stompbox wrote: »

Different genres, should have stipulated that ;) The joys of diversity...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Stompbox wrote: »

It was past midnight where I am...honest :o

Bit of a tumbleweed thread but I'll keep at it for now :pac:

Mentioned this album in the '2012 best' thread and I still keep coming back to it, its more than just a favourite now from 2012, I'd now rank it in a 'best ever' list!

Efterklang - Black Summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

For the sake of the thread I'll offer a bit of life support.

This sits so well with me today. Just gorgeous in grating kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ok, I'm not even clear on what the rules of this thread are. Is it one post per day in the thread as a whole or per person?

Who decides who gets to post each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

Heard this today for the first time through the Nialler9 podcast. I think its great, so its my track of the day :D

http://seapinks.bandcamp.com/track/following-wind

sorry, no video, no embed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Ok, I'm not even clear on what the rules of this thread are. Is it one post per day in the thread as a whole or per person?

Who decides who gets to post each day?

I would say we could have a few tracks of the day but only one post per poster.

notnumber wrote: »
    I would say we could have a few tracks of the day but only one post per poster.

But isn't that pretty much the Name A Song thread?

• Advertisement

But isn't that pretty much the Name A Song thread?

Name a song recently discovered implies a new track of sorts ,,.a persons track of the day could be the pixies where is my mind for e.g altough Im not endorsing posting old music that everyone has prob seen already.

Name a song recently discovered implies a new track of sorts ,,.a persons track of the day could be the pixies where is my mind for e.g altough Im not endorsing posting old music that everyone has prob seen already.

Fair point. Hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It would be more interesting if people took turns to post their "song of the day" and the proceeding discussion would be other posters thoughts on the song.

Otherwise it's just another "here's a song I like" thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

i think what the op meant was one song per calendar day based on who posts first that day.

so no-one can put one up until tomorrow.

The idea of the thread as has been suggested is for a person to post one song/track per day that was of particular note to them that day, definitely nice as was said if it can spark discussion on the song.

I don't agree though that it shouldn't be older or more well known stuff as you never know what people may not be familiar with should they be new to the genres or artist in question. I have been mainly listening to electronic music for several years and have loved in recent months discovering that I actually love bands I was aware of for years but never actually properly indulged. I suppose if people had the time it would be nice to say why they have chosen the song as their track of the day and if they have any other info worth noting, especially if its a lesser known track or artist.

There is a thread like this in electronic music and hip hop and both are quite popular threads, I don't think either ever leave the first page since their creation in 2010.

Anyway, I thought I'd drop one here - the interest will either give it life or a slow death...

I've not heard any music yet this morning to contribute but I'm sure I'll swing by later :pac:

Edit - worth noting also that there is a thread like this in experimental music, it used to get a few posts but I think about 3 people look at the forum these days! The general music forum also has a 'song of the day' thread which is reasonably popular and is actually where I got the idea to start a similar thread originally in experimental music.

i think what the op meant was one song per calendar day based on who posts first that day.

so no-one can put one up until tomorrow.

No, the idea as per my last post is a song per day per person. As per my op, this frequently gets broken in electronic music by people (including me admittedly but I used to mod there and liked breaking my own rules :pac:) and it tends to be when they've already posted something but stumbled across something else and throw in an obligatory 'apology' for bending the rules but give a good reason why.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Oh look another list thread. Same as Name A Song thread imo.

Tis what it is Lordgoat:) .I guess we all crave a good discussion thread but sometimes for me anyway I just wanna come here and pick up suggestions of what to check out...anyway ..damm Starting to wish I knew of this band before their whelans gig sold out..like the jangly guitar more than the vocals though..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

seems its another list thread. im out

seems its another list thread. im out

There is only one active 'list' thread here so a second is no harm at all..we can label it 'track of the day' list thread' so no-one has to have their time wasted checking or contributing to it.

• Advertisement

Any one understand Spainish? Just wondering what exactly the chorus of that song means.

Sheesh, who'd have thought an innocent music thread could confuse and fluster so much - I didn't think it was too difficult a concept to grasp!

Anyways...

Jim O'Rourke - Women Of The World

Sheesh, who'd have thought an innocent music thread could confuse and fluster so much - I didn't think it was too difficult a concept to grasp!

Scuba - I think you're onto something with this thread.
    Personally, if i've listened to a single track (say) three or four times in a particular day then it has attained a special place i my day. It's a rare event that I repeat a track several times a day (and even go to bed thinking about it) but it does happen. It could be something familiar or unfamiliar, old or new.

The 'track I've recently discovered and would like to share' thread is different. It doesn't suggest the same impact on a particular day.

How about if, form here on in, any track listened to 3 (the magic number) or more times in the present day becomes an eligible 'track of the day'? The 'Seefeel' track I posted a few days back has been a multiple repeat job for me over the last week or so - hence the post.

Honesty is required, I suppose, to ensure that it doesn't become a free for all post-what-you-like thread.

All that being said (and bearing the above in mind) would it be out of the question to post anything involving Britney Spears in this forum? Using the above criteria, I have a 'track of the day' involving herself since last Saturday.

cranks wrote: »
    Personally, if i've listened to a single track (say) three or four times in a particular day then it has attained a special place i my day. It's a rare event that I repeat a track several times a day (and even go to bed thinking about it) but it does happen. It could be something familiar or unfamiliar, old or new.

The 'track I've recently discovered and would like to share' thread is different. It doesn't suggest the same impact on a particular day.

How about if, form here on in, any track listened to 3 (the magic number) or more times in the present day becomes an eligible 'track of the day'? The 'Seefeel' track I posted a few days back has been a multiple repeat job for me over the last week or so - hence the post.

Honesty is required, I suppose, to ensure that it doesn't become a free for all post-what-you-like thread.

All that being said (and bearing the above in mind) would it be out of the question to post anything involving Britney Spears in this forum? Using the above criteria, I have a 'track of the day' involving herself since last Saturday.

Maybe I've misunderstood the 'name a track you've recently discovered...' thread but I figured that was a thread to drop something you've 'recently discovered' which suggests you've not heard it before and would like to share it!

The idea here is/was something that stood out for you on any given day for whatever reason... personally my day starts with a CD in the kitchen while having breakfast, I then listen to a CD in the car going to work, generally the CDs for a car journey are carefully selected to match my mood or journey... I then might have a walk from the car to where ever I'm going so need to stick on the headphones with my MP3 player and as such choose another album, and so on throughout the day in various circumstances right through to popping on something at home in the kitchen, sitting room and finally in bed before I fall asleep. Now that's a whole lot of listening experiences during the day and quite often one of those will really stand out for whatever reason... it could be a track I've not played for a while, or one that really resonates with the moment I've chosen - sitting in traffic and delving into an album that has only properly sunk in, loading the dishwasher and rediscovering a randomly chosen album to see me through the task... getting breakfast ready and sticking on a CD I've only recently bought and thinking 'fck me, that's a great album'!

Oh and btw, can't beat a bit a Seefeel...

possibly the wrong thread but eff it
    here's Will I Am feat Britney

Definitely my 'Track of the day' for today. 3++ times listens for me today lads & lassies, ffs.
    No PC/tablet speakers allowed - headphones at a minimum
    Superb driving music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭lc180

possibly the wrong thread but eff it
    here's Will I Am feat Britney

yay don't say...

Did make me laugh though so cheers for that.

lc180 wrote: »
    yay don't say...

Did make me laugh though so cheers for that.

too much alcohol = limited capacity for rational thought to blame I'm afraid.

I will bare my arse to you for slaps if you deem that to be an appropriate sanction for my indiscretion.

[good tune tho? ;)]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Very Good OP. Enjoyed that.

But the original is better. Sorry

Advertisement