Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IADT vs. DIT

Options
  • 18-01-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong area.

I'm planning on applying for both IADT and DIT Photography courses on the upcoming CAO and I'm just wondering if people could advise me on which one is the better of the two?

I was talking to my guidance counsellor and he mentioned there's some differences between the two..

I'm not sure how informed of the current courses he is but he mentioned IADT may be better?

Something about DIT is more about the technical side of photography I.E the structure of a camera and lenses etc...

Were as IADT is more focused on the Photos side of things...

Don't shoot the messenger if he's wrong.

Could anyone help?

I've got to fill out the CAO application in coming days and wondering which one i should put first..

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Doesn't sound right to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

aye thats sorta the case. tbh you would need to go onto the colleges now and chat with the lecturers, its not quite black and white like that, but IADT would lean towards the more fine art side of things compared to DIT

Are you sure? DIT end of year shows are far more on the art photography side than IADT. And I see more DIT than IADT graduates qualifying who exhibit art photography. It's been my impression that IADT provides a wider course that includes an art as well as commercial photography ethos. By contrast, I understand DIT focuses on technical and conceptual aspects that may or may not bleed into art or commercial emphases from year to year, student to student.

I'm probably totally wrong. OP, make contact with the colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'm currently in IADT and it touches very little on commercial photography, as Tom has mentioned it is far more Fine Art based. From looking at different grad shows in the past 5years, every year will be different in every college depending on what the students are more inclined toward. If I were you, pop into each college, ask where the photography area is and ask a few people from the course themselves, I'll be in there tomorrow from 10-2/3 and I will answer anything you want and I'm sure lots more from different years would be more than happy to help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm just going to focus all my effort into DIT as the entry requirements are more suited to me at the moment.

Also in terms of location the college is a lot easier to get to, I have still put IADT on my CAO just to have the option but currently DIT would be first choice. Again, as the location and portfolio requirements are more suited to me.

I really appreciate your help and I hope I'm not being disrespectful to you studying at IADT, it's just DIT is handier for me at the moment.

I'm not the most artsy person in the world so that side of photography kind of worries me slightly, I prefer wildlife and nature genres. Just a personal choice as I'm a tree hugger at heart :)

Thanks again, guys. I really appreciate it!

• Advertisement

kjt wrote: »
    I'm currently in IADT and it touches very little on commercial photography, as Tom has mentioned it is far more Fine Art based. From looking at different grad shows in the past 5years, every year will be different in every college depending on what the students are more inclined toward. If I were you, pop into each college, ask where the photography area is and ask a few people from the course themselves, I'll be in there tomorrow from 10-2/3 and I will answer anything you want and I'm sure lots more from different years would be more than happy to help!!
    Good to know! What's your experience of the course?

I really appreciate your help and I hope I'm not being disrespectful to you studying at IADT, it's just DIT is handier for me at the moment.

I'm not the most artsy person in the world so that side of photography kind of worries me slightly, I prefer wildlife and nature genres. Just a personal choice as I'm a tree hugger at heart :)

Thanks again, guys. I really appreciate it!

Not disrespectful in the slightest!! Not being artsy and a tree hugger, I couldn't agree with you more :)

sarkozy, I'd prefer not to post that online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

kjt wrote: »
    Not disrespectful in the slightest!! Not being artsy and a tree hugger, I couldn't agree with you more :)

sarkozy, I'd prefer not to post that online :)

So it's a good thing I'm preferring DIT? :cool:

So it's a good thing I'm preferring DIT? :cool:
    Not necessarily, different strokes for different folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Just wondering which you choose in the end? I'm currently trying to decide between the two after being offered 2nd year places in both, and to be honest struggling to decide which is best for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement