Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of private care

Options
  • 18-01-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just found out we are expecting our second,the boss wants to go private this time for a number of different reasons.

So im just wondering does anyone have any idea of the costs of this,our insurance only covers 700 euro.

For medical reasons she will have to have a section so a longer hospital stay will be required.

Does anyone have any idea what the costs are?,is there a set price or does it depend on the

consultant
    scans
    cost of bed per night
    c section procedure

Any info would be great,dont take it wrong im delighted to be having another but just want to know how much we will have to get together over the next few months,ive heard prices of 3k,5k,10k etc

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My friend paid someting like €3200 two years ago. This included scan c-section, consultant visits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Hi,
    Congratulations on the good news.
    We are currently private in the Rotunda and it costs €2500-€3600 depending on who you choose as a consultant. This cost covers EVERYTHING upto and including the birth. Not sure if C section is extra.
    Costs after the birth are covered by our health insurance so sorry i dont know what they aee but just google rotunda and there is a cost page.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Cost depends on the consultant, you'd have to ring them to ask how much they charge. The one fee covers all appointments and scans.

And ring your health insurance to see what they cover, i.e. mine covers up to 6 nights if you have a section. I think most do. They'll send it out to you in writing. If your wife is admitted at any point during pregnancy, that's also covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭testikle

thanks for the replies,great to have an idea

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

testikle wrote: »
    thanks for the replies,great to have an idea

cheers

And remember you can also get tax back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Are you attending a hospital in Dublin? I'm attending WRH and it's cheaper to go private than it is in Dublin.

it will be maternity hospital in limerick city,

trying to find out how much a bed is in there per night as the insurance only covers 400e so I assume we have to pay for the nightly accommodaation there as this wont be included in the 3-4k figure paid for consultant,scans etc

????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

trying to find out how much a bed is in there per night as the insurance only covers 400e so I assume we have to pay for the nightly accommodaation there as this wont be included in the 3-4k figure paid for consultant,scans etc

????

With my insurance they cover the hospital end of things while I pay for the consultant. I can claim back a sum of the cost of consultant from insurance also.

When I rang my insurance company they were able to tell me exactly what was covered in hospital etc. I really didnt have a clue of what way it worked before that.

If you have health insurance it tends to cover the hospital stay. The €400 is towards consultant fee. If you ring up your insurance provider, they'll tell you.

have the most basic insurance with laya and it states 298 towards consultant and 400 towards accommodation,tried ringing them on friday but no answer

Thats why im assuming ill be picking up the shortfall in the accommodation

• Advertisement

have the most basic insurance with laya and it states 298 towards consultant and 400 towards accommodation,tried ringing them on friday but no answer

Thats why im assuming ill be picking up the shortfall in the accommodation

I'd say it's pretty pricey per night if you're paying yourself. You could ring limerick maternity and they'd be able to tell you. I was admitted there a few wks ago and they had fees per night posted up on wall but I can't remember exact figures.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Have to say in regards to going private in limerick, chances of having a room to yourself is slim...they are very overcrowded there right now and if she goes in on a busy week private or not there is a good chance she could end up in a public ward at least one or two nights she's in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

????

I paid 3k to consultant in Limerick. This was just the consultant fee.

The rest was covered by health insurance so my best advice is call your health insurance company, explain your query and they should be able to tell you exactly what they'll cover.

And congratulations :)

Also just as a query for myself did u have issues with being a public patient in Limerick? Just wondering what made ye decide on private this time?
    (I'm not sure I'd go private again as heard great things about public in Linerick)

Hi ALL,

Had no probs in limerick with public,thought they were great,but herself wants to be kept an eye on more this time due to personal stuff

I know what you mean with the beds,theres not a hope you would get one id say even if you were private but were not pushed about that,its the pre pregnancy care

Was on to healthcare and all they will pay is 400 toward accommodation,she will prob have section so 1046 a night for 5 nights private(5200) + consultant,ive tried ringing hospital to see if patients who have private consultant can be public patient in the hospital but no answer.

I hate banging on about money once everything goes well is most important but still need to know how much i have to start getting together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Hi ALL,

Had no probs in limerick with public,thought they were great,but herself wants to be kept an eye on more this time due to personal stuff

I know what you mean with the beds,theres not a hope you would get one id say even if you were private but were not pushed about that,its the pre pregnancy care

Was on to healthcare and all they will pay is 400 toward accommodation,she will prob have section so 1046 a night for 5 nights private(5200) + consultant,ive tried ringing hospital to see if patients who have private consultant can be public patient in the hospital but no answer.

I hate banging on about money once everything goes well is most important but still need to know how much i have to start getting together.

Good to know about public :)
    Thanks for info.

I was admitted a couple of weeks ago and got my own room (private patient).

Advertisement