Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touran 1.9 TDI issue today - SMOKING

• 18-01-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

After a short journey today, left car, came back, wouldn't start or turnover. A while later it did but smoke from the back and also under hood on the left side of engine bay.

Slight squealling noise too and to me it could have been a burn smell like rubber.

No fault codes after running Torque and no dash lights.

Car serviced recently, all filters changed and running great.

Could it be fanbelt or a seized turbo....or a million other things?

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First of all, don't start the car as you could make it worse.
    Get a mobile mechanic out or trailer it to a garage.
    m2c

Check with your insurance if they cover a call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Biiko, cheers. Should have been clearer. towed under insurance and in a garage but not with my regular guy who is away. So I want to be clued up if possible.

Freezed my stones off today in Dundrum, Dublin. One hour after calling I get a call from a tow guy in Dundrum, Tipp. Fecking RAC and their UK call centers.

Turns out much to my shame which will now be immortalised that there was 23 litres of petrol put in on top of the diesel. It explains the smoke as the pre-heater was burning the petrol.

I checked and there is a 60 litre tank so that's about 2/3 diesl and 1/3 petrol in there. Two mechanics have told me that is fine to drive which surprised me as I was expecting to have to drain it and also fearing the worst - injectors/pumps/DMF etc.

It broke down again today and cost me another 1/2 days work.

Started from cold, fine on a short start/stop run. Then on a bigger run it runs smooth and only stalls when dropping down the gears at junctions. Slowing off via gears/handbrake and keeping the revs stops the stalling. Restarts after a few minutes. No lights are on the dash and even when it stalls no warnings appear.

Would appreciate some advice please?

Thanks,
    MAJJ
    PS please lay of the woulda/shouda/coulda on the petrol front, a tired mistake I hope I don't repeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd imagine keep brimming it with diesel every day and try to improve the mix that way? Assuming you're not getting the tank drained etc - but others more knowledgeable than me will be able to say if this is a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's easy to drain the tank on these. We usually just disconnect the supply pipe from the fuel filter housing and run that pipe to an external container. Then bridge the fuel pump relay to run the lift pump constantly to empty the tank.

• Advertisement

My mechanic says the readings are up and down, draining as we speak and going to refill and he will recheck. Thanks

Advertisement