Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy won't go to bed

Options
  • 18-01-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've a 5 month old yorkie that I got at 9 weeks. he sleeps in the kitchen with a rug and dog bed and toys etc. by now he knows our routine of brushing our teeth and turning off lights so he knows when he's gonna be put to bed but he justs goes behind the couch and crawls in a ball so we can't put him into the kitchen. I have to lift him in every night and the same when i go to work. Anyone have any advice? I know he's a puppy but he's 5 months. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Entice him with a high value treat, such as a meat one, liver, chicken, sausage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

How about stuffing a Kong with tasty treats for him?

Our puppy was a bit strange about going into his crate for the first couple of weeks after we got him. Used to whine and howl something terrible. You'd swear we were murdering him.

In the end, we put the t-shirt my husband had been wearing that day in the crate, wrapped round an old-fashioned ticking clock. Worked a treat! :D (Probably why the dog's all for my husband now!!)

Is that worth a shot, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

once i manually put him in the kitchen and close the door, he's fine. just wont go in himself when he knows its bed time. he also does not like any treats or peanut butter. give hime ham or chicken as treats. He wont eat any food when hes alone also. I fed him his breakfast in a kong and it was full when i got back for lunch. then he started eating the kong when i was home for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

You have now inadvertantly "trained" him to wait to be carried to bed! To undo this training, wait for him to go or entice him to his bed. Then make a real fuss of him when he does. It might take a few tries but Yorkies are pretty bright and should pick up the new routine fairly quickly, especially since (if I'm reading your message correctly) once in his bed, he's quite happy.
    Best of luck - he'll be a great companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd say to change your routine so that you put him to bed before you brush your teeth, so he doesn't have a chance to squirrel himself away. I'd also put him 'to bed' several times during the day. That way when you put him to bed in the evening he'll just see it as a continuation of the training you've been doing throughout the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

If he knows your routine and then hides change your routine, put him into kitchen before you start getting ready for bed, if you think him not eating around you is beginning to become a problem slowly start getting him to eat without you ie feed him and go into the next room but where he can see you and if he eats praise himself and keep doing this but each time go further out of view, not all the time but some dogs who do that have separation anxiety!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There's probably an underlying reason for him reacting like that. Is the kitchen very cold at night? Is it separate from the rest of the house? He probably feels like he is being abandoned. Try putting some of your clothes where you want him to sleep so he doesn't feel like he is separated from the family. Is there possibly a different room you could put him in that isn't as removed from the rest of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Does he have a command for going to his bed that he'll get excited about and know's he'll get a reward for? EG if I tell my dog to 'go to bed' he dives into into his bed because he knows he'll get a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

andreac wrote: »
    Entice him with a high value treat, such as a meat one, liver, chicken, sausage etc.

This is the solution,

started doing this with my Yorkie and Morkie and now instead of me leading them to bed with the treat they run into bed and lie down expecting their treat in return

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nathan89

il try getting him to eat when im out of the room but he can see me. kitchen is right beside my bedroom. its a small bungalow. not cold. it's just that he's so attached to me. when i arrive home, he jumps up continuosly for about 2 mins with excitement and then he just asks normal again. If i leave treats in his bed during the day, would that help him see the bed as a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

nathan89 wrote: »
    il try getting him to eat when im out of the room but he can see me. kitchen is right beside my bedroom. its a small bungalow. not cold. it's just that he's so attached to me. when i arrive home, he jumps up continuosly for about 2 mins with excitement and then he just asks normal again. If i leave treats in his bed during the day, would that help him see the bed as a good thing?
    Try making going and coming home not a big deal ie no good byes or greetings ignore him when u come home until he calms down, yes definitely leave treats in his bed so he'll have a positive association with his bed, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ghogie91 wrote: »
    This is the solution,

started doing this with my Yorkie and Morkie and now instead of me leading them to bed with the treat they run into bed and lie down expecting their treat in return

Is the yorkie called morkie or is it a different type of dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Our 8 stone Akita is the same, we mention bed and he always closes his eyes and hope 's we will leave him in the sitting room, when we come in with his lead he rolls over and tries to make it difficult for us to put the lead on him.

Arent dogs funny :)

Advertisement