Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer stuck on Launch start up repair

Options
  • 18-01-2013 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

I'm posting on behalf of a friend here....

His desktop was downloading Windows (vista afaik) updates and he thought it was stuck so he turned off the computer! :rolleyes:

When he turned it back on he got a screen saying "Windows failed to start" and "launch start up repair" Then it says seconds til choice selected auto, then 30 seconds which countdown to a quick black screen then the 30 seconds starts again.

I told him to hit the enter key when he sees "launch start up repair" but he says it does nothing.

Any advice appreciated as he is not very good with all things tech. I'm not much better and trying to sort him out via text message from a different country! :rolleyes:

Editing as I forgot to ask, would just hitting F8 and starting in safe mode be an easy solution?? Or am I being a bit too optimistic?! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Well worth trying F8 and see will it boot in safe mode,if you make it safe mode with networking you might be able to get in to the pc remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

My brother had the same problem with Windows 7 a while back and we couldn't even get into safe mode, so we had to wipe and reinstall which obviously worked, to save all his stuff before we wiped it I had to remove the hard drive and put it into a HDD docking station and put all his docs etc onto my PC. It's an option if you can't get into safe mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the replies. :)

I've told him to try the F8 option so will see how he gets on with that. Though I think he might have to get someone who knows what they are doing to sort him out.

He's in Dublin if anyone wants a nixer!! ;)

Advertisement