Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant toilets

Options
  • 18-01-2013 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Are there any regulations requiring restaurants and cafes to provide toilet facilities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Condatis wrote: »
    Are there any regulations requiring restaurants and cafes to provide toilet facilities?
    Only café I've come across without one was in Guilford - they directed you across the street to the public toilets. Cleanest and nicest public toilets I've ever seen, mind.

Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread relates to health regulations/provision of customer facilities rather than the Food or Drink.

Maybe the business management folk in this forum can help you better than the foodies.

Moved.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0147.html#zzsi147y1988a11

Otherwise call your health officer or purchase a I.S.340/2007

Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Only café I've come across without one was in Guilford - they directed you across the street to the public toilets. Cleanest and nicest public toilets I've ever seen, mind.

Why do you ask?

i use cafes daily in Dublin and have come across several without facilities. This can be inconvenient and is irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,286 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You also need separate toilets for staff and customers.
    Otherwise call your health officer or purchase a I.S.340/2007
    Are you sure you have the right number / year? http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/si/0340.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

That deals with restaurants licenced to alcohol which come under different Regulations than Cafes. i have come across Restaurants and Cafes with seating for 30 people which do not have toilets.

in the case of premises with a Special Restaurant Licence (to sell alcohol) there are requirements for toilets based on the number of seats. i can find no Regulations for premises which do not sell alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

The I.S.340 and 341 was issued in 2007 and is still the guidance the EHO will reference to. And I certainly would engage an EHO after you have your plans ready, never mind if there are cafes in Dublin without toilets.
    It's safe guarding your investment.
    Good luck
    Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

It's quite likely that I'm missing something here - but the 340 thing just brings up something about tax?
    Does the rule for licensed restaraunts and cafes also apply to non-licensed premeses? Eg cafes and fast food places? Does every single McDonald's have to have toilet facilities by Irish law?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Click on that link and scroll up not down.

It is laid out there.

One toilet required for up to 25 people for male and one for female.

However, this can often be one unisex toilet.

One separate toilet required for staff.

So bare minimum requirements are two toilets, one public and one for staff.

Advertisement