Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this be a Graphics Card Problem or short circuiting?

Options
  • 17-01-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My computer has the following specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
    Cpu Cooler: Arctic Freezer xtreme Rev 2.0,
    Motherboard: MSI P67A – GD65 (B3)
    PSU: Super-Flower Amazon 550W
    RAM: 4GB G.Skill RipJaws-X, DDR3, 1600
    HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm
    Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 Xtreme - 1 GB GDDR5
    Disc Drive: Samsung SH-223C DVD+RW
    Case: Cooler Master 690 II LITE Midi-Tower

My kid was playing around and he poured some juice on the case and it trickled through, computer shut down immediately. I opened the case and wiped everywhere where there was traces of juice. A lot of it trickled to the bottom but some went into the graphics card. Took out the graphics card and tried to clean it wherever I can. When everything was clean, I tried to switch on but nothing happened. I removed the RAM and the graphics card and the motherboard powered on. I then returned the RAM, mobo powered on. Returned the graphics without connecting the 2 power cords (PCI and SLI), computer powered on. Then tried connecting the 2 power cords to the graphics together and separately and I noticed that it is only when I connect the SLI cable onto the graphics card, the computer doesn’t power on. If the PCI cable connected alone to the graphics card, the computer powers on.

What do I need to do? Will try and see if I can get someone to check the graphics card onto their computers to eliminate if it is the graphics card.

Any help/advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

Unfortunately is is just a case of stripping back to motherboard & CPU until the culprit is located. Is it POSTing at all?

Advertisement